Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Best Aquarium Heater?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2009, 10:01 PM   #1
Craig311
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Best Aquarium Heater?

I'm planning on moving my fermentation to a bucket inside a rubbermaid container full of water in my basement. It stays in the upper 50s down there. What size/wattage heater do I need to keep it at ale temp? Any preferred models? Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 10:33 PM   #2
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I recommend one of the 'shatterproof' style, fully submersible heaters. main reason is they have a good shutoff if they get too hot. traditional submersible heaters are made of glass, and if its on and gets pulled out of the water, it'll heat up INSANELY FAST and the second it gets wet, the glass explodes.

i would check out Big Al's fish store or Drs Foster Smith...both are online and have really good pricing. Ebo-jager and Visitherm are good brands.

for an aquarium you usually aim for 3 watts per gallon of tank capacity.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 12-02-2009, 11:42 PM   #3
marc06
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What size of container are you planning on using for fermentation? I would recommend Rena heaters, they are easily adjusted to a specific temperature rather than just a + or - for heat. Petsmart carried them when I worked there, and by the time you pay for shipping they are about the same price. If your looking online the cheapest is probably petsolutions.com

Old 12-03-2009, 05:23 AM   #4
twst1up
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 19

i'd also suggest a small pump in your reservoir to keep the temp steady throughout

you can take the boy outta New Jersey...

Old 12-03-2009, 10:22 AM   #5
RunBikeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I use Marineland Stealth aquarium heaters. They are shatterproof (i.e. all plastic) and have pretty accurate temp settings in my experience. I used to have a cheaper version, but the thermostat failed (which seems to be pretty common with the cheap heaters). I believe I'm using the 75W version in a medium size plastic tote (maybe 5 gallons of water?) in a basement that stays around 50F in the winter. I also use a tiny ($5) submersible water pump from Harbor Freight to keep temps even. This setup also works great for bottle conditioning.

Two other recommendations: use a splash of bleach in the water bath and put something between the plastic tote and the basement floor for insulation (I use a few layers of cardboard). It's surprising how much heat a cold concrete floor will absorb.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:26 AM   #6
dfohio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by twst1up View Post
i'd also suggest a small pump in your reservoir to keep the temp steady throughout
Do you think that is necessary?

I would imagine the reservoir water would equalize well before it had any major affect on the liquid inside the fermenter.

Primary: Citrus Wheat Experiment/WLP029 & WYEAST 1056
Secondary: Oktoberfest
Bottle: Empty

Old 12-03-2009, 02:34 PM   #7
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 2697 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I like the stealth heaters as well. Used em in my tanks when I had a bunch running and have used them for keeping temps high enough for fermentation.

Are you just bored and wanted something, anything to type?-IrregularPulse

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey
IP's wife's boobs weigh more than my wife.-Randar
My wife has the coordination of a drunk two legged spider.-Zuljin

Old 12-03-2009, 02:52 PM   #8
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
i would check out Big Al's fish store or Drs Foster Smith...both are online and have really good pricing. Ebo-jager and Visitherm are good brands.
I'm gonna disagree that Ebo-Jager is a good heater. They used to be great (the green ones), but since being bought by Eheim quality has gone down significantly.

Heater thermostats WILL fail. All of them eventually. You're better off spending the extra bucks and having a Ranco or something to control it.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:54 PM   #9
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

how can anything by Eheim be poor quality? they were the Cadillac of pumps when I was more into the aquarium hobby.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 12-03-2009, 11:11 PM   #10
MultumInParvo
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
how can anything by Eheim be poor quality? they were the Cadillac of pumps when I was more into the aquarium hobby.
Same thing that happened to Cadillac, maybe?

Quick Reply