New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Bending Stainless Steal tubing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
MgMt_Home_Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bending Stainless Steal tubing?

I ordered a 3 foot section of stainless steel tubing to make a new dip tube for my mashtun (and HLT) and I was wondering how I should go about getting the 90 degree bend in it. I will need to go from my ball valve through my false bottom.

The tubing is from McMaster-Carr and it's part number 89895K155. My thought was to build a mold where I could put the tube in and then use the leverage of the pipe to bend it.

My concerns are crimping the tube or cracking it. Should I heat it? are the side walls going to be too thick?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
BargainFittings
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Its annealed so it will bend, but you will need a tool or a die of some sort to keep it from crimping.

I use .030 wall tubing and it takes some effort with a good bending tool to start the bend.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
Thirteen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You will almost certainly kink it if you try to bend a 90 without the walls being supported. Hardly worth buying a tube bender for a single piece but you may be able to rent one from a local tool rental.... Just checked the MC website. 5/8 tubing, serious overkill for a dip tube but your call, will not bend easily without the proper tools. You're going to want to get you r hands on something like this http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/RIDGID-Tube-Bender-1VTT6 Might even be worth trying some of the local commercial plumbing outfits. If you can drop by their office they may be willing to bend it for you at a reasonable price.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
rcrabb22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MgMt_Home_Brew View Post
I ordered a 3 foot section of stainless steel tubing to make a new dip tube for my mashtun (and HLT) and I was wondering how I should go about getting the 90 degree bend in it. I will need to go from my ball valve through my false bottom.

The tubing is from McMaster-Carr and it's part number 89895K155. My thought was to build a mold where I could put the tube in and then use the leverage of the pipe to bend it.

My concerns are crimping the tube or cracking it. Should I heat it? are the side walls going to be too thick?

Any suggestions are appreciated.
The cost of the 3' tube is a bit more than what Derrin at Brewer's Hardware would charge to custom build one for you one.

Maybe a spring bender would help if you have one or know somebody who does.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:53 PM   #5
PDawg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you are only doing one bend, a cheap tube bender from Harbor Freight would get the job done

Old 09-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

If you fill the tube with sand it may help with the kinking.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 09-29-2010, 01:53 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 855 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 26

$2 tube bender kit at HF

One goes inside the tube and another on the outside. Grab the tubing with each hand on either side of the bend and pull it over a 3" diameter whatever object you have; fence post, railing, bong.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 09-29-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
samc
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Tube bending kit, sand or freeze with water sealed inside.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:25 PM   #9
MgMt_Home_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the input guys, sounds like I might not be able to get this done to brew on Sunday unless I can get a shop to bend it for me. I got 5/8 tubing since that is the OD of the copper tubing I already drilled my false bottom for.

I did read a few things on filling them with sand but not sure how well you need to cap the ends to keep the sand in the tube. I might have to hit up harbor freight and just get by this weekend.

Quick Reply