Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Beer Software for Macs
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2006, 01:36 PM   #1
rene
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5
Default Beer Software for Macs

Hi all,

I'm wondering what your favorite software for storing and formulationg beer recipes are. I know that PC users like "ProMash"; I would like to find a good app for a macintosh running OS X.

thanks,

rene

__________________
rene is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2006, 02:38 PM   #2
bobbyc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bobbyc's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Clemson, SC
Posts: 150
Default

Try BeerAlchemy. It's a pretty new product, but I've been enjoying it so far - looks like it will get even better as updates are made.

http://www.kentplacesoftware.com/pro...erAlchemy.html

__________________
bobbyc is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2006, 05:31 PM   #3
jldesign
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: pennsylvania
Posts: 162
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

simple but works
http://members.cox.net/mrstuffbm/beermeister.htm

beermeister

__________________
jldesign is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2006, 11:28 PM   #4
DrewsBrews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrewsBrews's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyc
Try BeerAlchemy. It's a pretty new product, but I've been enjoying it so far - looks like it will get even better as updates are made.

http://www.kentplacesoftware.com/pro...erAlchemy.html
I'm testing the beta for the next release of BeerAlchemy. I'm not sure when the designer plans to release it, but some of the new features are pretty flippin' cool. More calculators (including volumes of CO2 based on style of beer - my personal favorite), more choices for times of hop and extract additions to the boil, and a pretty slick shopping section that will post out a recipe's ingredients list in a printable page and will even let you send it as an email order to your favorite HBS. He's also working on code that will import/convert recipes from some of the big PC programs. He uses the program for his own AG brewing, so he has an interest in adding newer, better features as fast as he can come up with them.

If you prefer to use programs that run on your Mac natively, take a serious look at this one. I sure like it.

Side note: it only runs on Tiger because he used features that are only available in that version of OS X.
__________________
So long, and thanks for all the beer...

Tap 1:
Tap 2:
Tap 3:
Bottles:
DrewsBrews is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2006, 12:46 AM   #5
TheCheatOSX
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 20
Default

Two thumbs WAY UP for BeerAlchemy! You'll love the GUI, and the next version will rock even harder!

__________________
TheCheatOSX is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2006, 03:06 AM   #6
rene
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5
Default

Thanks for the great suggestions!

I've downloaded them and am trying them out. I also found this one in case you folks may be interested

Homebrew Formulator
http://brew.reboritull.com/

The Beer Alchemy one looks very nice, but I am still running Panther on my main box. I found that until recently (10.4.4), Tiger was not as stable as I needed it to be and I had problems with sleep. If any of you are computer geeks, drop me a line and I will tell you more.

__________________
rene is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2006, 04:11 AM   #7
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sause's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Menomonee Falls WI
Posts: 1,866
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

There is also one at http://www.beertools.com they just came out with one for windows too.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brewer
Had some Bud Light analyzed once. They told me my dog had diabetes... And was pregnant
sause is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2007, 06:37 PM   #8
chthonik
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 123
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rene
Thanks for the great suggestions!

I've downloaded them and am trying them out. I also found this one in case you folks may be interested

Homebrew Formulator
http://brew.reboritull.com/

The Beer Alchemy one looks very nice, but I am still running Panther on my main box. I found that until recently (10.4.4), Tiger was not as stable as I needed it to be and I had problems with sleep. If any of you are computer geeks, drop me a line and I will tell you more.
I bought BeerAlchemy when I started brewing in March, and I like it a lot. I'm interested to see how it does as me and my friends do more PM and AG. One of my friends uses ProMash, so its interesting to see how they compare head-to-head. Pretty close so far.
__________________
chthonik is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2007, 06:45 PM   #9
Beerrific
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Beerrific's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 5,600
Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewsBrews
I'm testing the beta for the next release of BeerAlchemy. I'm not sure when the designer plans to release it, but some of the new features are pretty flippin' cool. More calculators (including volumes of CO2 based on style of beer - my personal favorite), more choices for times of hop and extract additions to the boil, and a pretty slick shopping section that will post out a recipe's ingredients list in a printable page and will even let you send it as an email order to your favorite HBS. He's also working on code that will import/convert recipes from some of the big PC programs. He uses the program for his own AG brewing, so he has an interest in adding newer, better features as fast as he can come up with them.

If you prefer to use programs that run on your Mac natively, take a serious look at this one. I sure like it.

Side note: it only runs on Tiger because he used features that are only available in that version of OS X.
I really like BeerAlchemy, works great.

Only thing I would like to see in future updates is the ability to export a recipe to a text file so I can copy/paste in here
__________________
Beerrific is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2007, 07:12 PM   #10
brewerdave
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 46
Default

I agree, BeerAlchemy is good software. You can get a trial version from the website so that you can try before you buy. A free program that I'm just starting to try out is Qbrew. Seems pretty good so far, but it's not quite as full featured as BeerAlchemy. It's written for PowerPC, but I run it on an Intel iMac at work just fine

__________________
Primary: Scarlet Ale II
Secondary: Off-Kilter 80 Shillings
Bottled: Scarlet Ale
Drinking: Oatmeal Stout
On Deck: Various SMaSHes, Centennial Blonde, Apfelwein?
brewerdave is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
beer software rjdunlap2 Brewing Software 4 09-09-2008 11:45 AM
Best Beer Software Tool? Raffie General Beer Discussion 1 07-11-2008 07:13 PM
Using Beer Smith software. BrewMunster Brewing Software 3 06-03-2008 01:48 PM
Beer Making Software Blaine Brewing Software 5 10-27-2007 08:02 AM
Beer Brewing software dbriggs10 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 15 04-20-2007 08:26 PM