New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Beer Keg vs Brew Pots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #1
BeerguyNC61
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Beer Keg vs Brew Pots

Not sure if this has been beaten to death a 1000 times but I tried a several searches and nothing came up. Sorry if it has been covered but here goes....

What is better for brewing in a converted keg or buying a new shiny 15 gallon Blichmann or More Beer pot? Looking for all 3- HLT, Mash Tun and Brew pot. And if the converter keg option is better whats the best place to get these kegs (legally of course)?

Fire away!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 12:23 AM   #2
cobolstinks
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

keg vs 15 gallon blichman is like saying whats better a saturn ion or BWM 5 series. They are on different price scales. You can get kegs off craigslist for ~50 bucks i think 15 gallon blichmans start around $400 ish (i could be way off on that)

I'm a keg guy (and i drive a toyota).

Old 03-29-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
Markd27
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Personally I couldn't find a good source for legit kegs, and am leary of the ones sold on Craigslist.

I bought a Blichmann Boilermaker, and while it ain't cheap, I'm blown away by the quality and design. Yes you can get cheaper pots, but I don't mind paying for quality. Now I just need the cash for two more

Blichmann products are designed from scratch for homebrewers, to some there is value in that. As far as which is better, it probably boils down to which option suits your budget best, as they will both produce beer just as good as the other.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:29 AM   #4
tknice
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yeah, no harm in going the keggle route first and seeing if that works for you. If you need three that certainly would save you a lot of money.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:35 AM   #5
BeerguyNC61
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks for the fast replies!
The craiglist route to me would be the non-legit route! I wasn't sure if there was a legal source for used kegs. Blichmann was what I was looking at but they seem to be out of stock everywhere now until mid April.....

Old 03-29-2012, 12:41 AM   #6
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markd27 View Post
Personally I couldn't find a good source for legit kegs, and am leary of the ones sold on Craigslist.

I bought a Blichmann Boilermaker, and while it ain't cheap, I'm blown away by the quality and design. Yes you can get cheaper pots, but I don't mind paying for quality. Now I just need the cash for two more

Blichmann products are designed from scratch for homebrewers, to some there is value in that. As far as which is better, it probably boils down to which option suits your budget best, as they will both produce beer just as good as the other.
I agree, really all depends on how long you think that you are going to be brewing.
Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 03-29-2012, 12:45 AM   #7
BeerguyNC61
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I brewed extract with specialty grains for 5 years then with two moves cross country, VT to CO to NC the brew gear went away. Now after being out of it for almost 10 years I want to dive into all-grain and plan on being here til I get planted hopefully many years from now. So that being said I want something that will last years and years.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:55 AM   #8
Cambone
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerguyNC61 View Post
Thanks for the fast replies!
The craiglist route to me would be the non-legit route! I wasn't sure if there was a legal source for used kegs. Blichmann was what I was looking at but they seem to be out of stock everywhere now until mid April.....
Would the following scenario be considered "legit" to you?

You go to the liquor store, walk up to the counter and politely say "One keg of beer please!". They charge you for the beer, and you make a deposit on the keg and a tap. You go home and enjoy said beer, perhaps among friends or interesting strangers. You then return to the liquor store, with only the tap and no keg. You are given your deposit for the tap, but ALAS! They keep your keg deposit for you did not return the keg. You kept it at home. You then defile the keg by cutting it open and boiling water inside it.

Legit?

Also, this is how the keg/deposit system works in my state, YMMV.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:57 AM   #9
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

To configure a keggle up similar to a Blichmann, it's going to run you $250-$300 (depending on keg cost)... I have one that I've setup as a keggle since I didn't want to buy the Blichmann 15 gallon since I have a Blichmann 10 gallon already.

This is a shot I took of my keggle just tonight...

I have a sight tube assembly (my own design) fitted on the side along with your standard 3 piece ball valve, Blichmann svelte thermometer, and a recirculation fitting. I recirculate through my plate chiller for about 5 minutes after flame out, chilling, before going to fermenter. That's on top of the sanitizing 5-10 minute recirculation time.

Inside I have just a dip tube (the one in the picture has been changed for a 45 degree bend model, picking up from the side of the cone) and the other (obvious) fittings. Everything is stainless, high temp silicone or borosilicate glass (for the sight tube).

First run with it last brew day was very positive. I'll be using it again on this Saturday to brew a 10 gallon batch of my MO SMaSH... Very much looking forward to using it.

Point is, you can make a keggle to be in line with what Blichmann offers. The cost savings won't be huge, but it will be something YOU make. If you're halfway handy, and have decent tools, you can do it. If it's dangerous for you to be around power tools, that can cut, then it's probably not something you should tackle. If your family knows the trauma people at the local emergency room (due to your numerous visits), then it's probably not something you should tackle...

BTW, below the keggle (in the first picture) is my keg mash tun... That kicks ass.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Old 03-29-2012, 01:06 AM   #10
BeerguyNC61
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Awesome and very very shiny! What sort of tools did you need? Speed bit for the holes I'm guessing. WHat did you use to cut the top off? That sounds like a good price compared to a tricked out Blichmann. How did you get it so freakin shiny?

Quick Reply