New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Beer Filtration System

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 05:15 PM   #31
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, I bought my stuff from USWATERSYSTEMS.COM because they were running a special. I got a sweet clear housing for like $14, and a .45 micron 100% pleated polypropylene filter for $31... but it is reusable and autoclavable. The housing can be ordered the way you want it as far as relief button, inlet and exit port sizes, and whether or not you want a mounting bracket. I know the filter might be overkill from the cheaper through-aways... but you can do the math on how long it takes to equal the price differential from the cheaper filters.

I have not used mine for its intended purpose yet. I had a beer on tap that was yeasty post transfer, so I attached the filter pre-tap in my kegerator and it works great. The beer after that, I didn't even transfer. I just threw it in the kegerator and tapped it (it was pressure fermented in an unmodified Sanke and all the yeast was still there). I could see the yeast build up during the first couple of pints inside the filter housing, but just like after crash cooling that did not increase after the first day of pulling pints. I am really excited to use this for keg to keg transfers, but man it is so sweet inline like it is. I haven't had to clean it yet. I just let it expel the first beer out before getting a 100% next beer taste. Worked like a charm, and any oxidation is a non-issue since it is going into your glass for instant consumption.

Thanks for the thread, it is what made me pull the trigger after re-reading all the other filter threads.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #32
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortMonger View Post
[/URL] for like $14, and a .45 micron 100% pleated polypropylene filter for $31... but it is reusable and autoclavable.
They call it disposable? Are you saying it can be autoclaved based on the material used?

Old 01-23-2011, 06:04 PM   #33
WortMonger

Recipes 

Yep, went through all of my questions about that as well and they were put to bed. Poly is 100% autoclavable. You wouldn't want to use the filter at high temperatures, but cleaning it is fine. Not to mention you don't have to use heat... Star-San would work just fine.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:07 PM   #34
MrZ2U
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When you get right down to it there is really no reason any of them couldn’t be reused a few times.

Back flush them well to get as much particulate matter as you can out. Get a large kitchen container, something like that, tall enough to hold an element or two and store them in clean water and in the fridge. (don’t freeze). When ready to use give it a flush with Star-San and you should be good to go. I mean if you can get 5 uses out of a $5 element then I think that is a good value right? I would think you could get at least that out of the big box store elements.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:01 PM   #35
WortMonger

Recipes 

+1 to this! There is no reason you can't squeeze that much use from an cartridge. I would just always say to use one rated absolute and not nominal. That way you know exactly how fine you have it filtered down to.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:01 AM   #36
MrZ2U
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well I found the link that I was looking for a few posts back...
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/midwest-beer-clarity-filter-system.html

They flat out say you can reuse the filters and they dont seem too spendy either.

Still hold with my last post...no reason I can see that one could not use standard ones several times.

Just gotta to the math to see whats the best deal.

"Nobody knows everything. Nobody even knows everything about any one thing. And most of us don't know much." P. J. O'Orourke

Quick Reply