Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Beer Filtration System

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2010, 05:08 AM   #1
CrazyBrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Beer Filtration System

This is my beer filtration system. It utilizes a 0.5 filter with CO2 forced beer from one keg to final keg through the filter . It works great and produces absolutely clear beer. It's purely for presentation and looks of the beer, but it sure does make the final product look fantastic!

toledoBrewer Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 05:45 AM   #2
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I've read recently that there may be an issue of entrained in the filter media scrubbing unwanted oxygen into your beer. Have you noticed any oxidation issues with this setup?

Old 04-15-2010, 05:49 AM   #3
andy777
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That looks awesome.

I have to disagree with you about the fact that filtering is only for looks. I know a lot of people say that clearing beer only has asthetic value, but don't sell your efforts short. Yeast has flavor. Nasty flavor.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:55 AM   #4
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy777 View Post
That looks awesome.

I have to disagree with you about the fact that filtering is only for looks. I know a lot of people say that clearing beer only has asthetic value, but don't sell your efforts short. Yeast has flavor. Nasty flavor.
Nasty? The flavor or every beer is influenced by the yeast. Its not just for making alcohol. Yeast's flavor profile is as important as any other ingredient in the beer. Sometimes its more prevalent than other ingredients.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:03 AM   #5
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Can you let us know if the filtering does affect the taste, I have heard that too fine a filter can also take other flavours out aswell (no idea how though)?

Old 04-15-2010, 06:03 AM   #6
andy777
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles View Post
Nasty? The flavor or every beer is influenced by the yeast. Its not just for making alcohol. Yeast's flavor profile is as important as any other ingredient in the beer. Sometimes its more prevalent than other ingredients.
I didn't mean the "yeast profile," ie fermentation characteristics like attenuation, or in the form of esters, phenols, and other compounds generated or consumed by the yeast during fermentation. I meant the flavor of the actual yeast cells held in suspension making cloudy beer. Not the same thing.

Back when I filtered more frequently, I made a point to do before and after tastes, and the flavor difference was noticeable...in a good way.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:07 AM   #7
CrazyBrew

Recipes 

Quote:
I've read recently that there may be an issue of entrained in the filter media scrubbing unwanted oxygen into your beer. Have you noticed any oxidation issues with this setup?
I am a pretty science oriented person (especially with my job) so I have thought about this theory. This is a closed system with only new CO2 being introduced which is, of course, fine. As far as the filter "scrubbing oxygen" I suppose theoretically it could happen but I have not ever experienced any oxidation and I have used this process for quite awhile. The beer tastes and looks great!

Old 04-15-2010, 06:16 AM   #8
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Do you purge it with co2 first to rid it of oxygen? Even if its a closed system the surface area in one of those filters is significant and can hold alot of air. I've never tried this but have read a bit about it. Sounds promising if you have noticed any issues.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:20 AM   #9
CrazyBrew

Recipes 

Quote:
Do you purge it with co2 first to rid it of oxygen? Even if its a closed system the surface area in one of those filters is significant and can hold alot of air. I've never tried this but have read a bit about it. Sounds promising if you have noticed any issues.
I do purge it.

For mattd2 - I do think the main reason for filtering is for looks which let's face it -- is important. As far as taste, I have done with filtering and without filtering taste tests and I do believe the beer tastes better WITH filtering.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:48 AM   #10
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Just got to see the vidoe now, looks pretty good! I can't really tell but it looks pretty clear coming out of the first keg (is it?) so it is something to note that even if the beer is clear there still could be a lot of yeast flavour in there. I guess it is a case of each to the own though, some people like there homebrew like it filtered some will not. From what I remember the removal of other "good" flavours was when a crazy fine filter element was used, basically sounded like if you used soemthing extreamly fine you would pretty much filter your beer into water or something!
(<- or not)

Quick Reply