The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > The Beer Engine arrived!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2010, 12:14 AM   #1
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default The Beer Engine arrived!

I told my wife this summer, "If you and your parents want to get me one present this year, this is what I want" and showed her a link on ebay for a guy selling used beer engine's from the UK. On Christmas day I got a big box...with a picture of a beer engine. Turns out they bought it but it got stuck in customs in SF and then sent back to the UK. But Today it got here!

I gave it a pull and it has good suction, and sputters out of the spigot . It even smells like fresh beer! The handle is Porcelain the brass, and the stand is walnut, I think. The manufacture is England Worthside LTD.

I'm supper stoked, Going to brew an English IPA this weekend after the Quad I have planed!
library-407.jpg

library-408.jpg

library-409.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 12:18 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4196 Times on 3055 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Wow- that's awesome! I can just see myself having a pint of bitter poured out of the engine. I'm so jealous. What a great gift!

Old 01-07-2010, 12:19 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Oh, I guess I'm the first one to come on here and say that I hate you!

Awesome gift.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-07-2010, 12:21 AM   #4
commonlaw
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Congrats! I want one. The rocket hand pump I am using is ok, but it takes like 20 pulls to fill an imperial pint and makes a lot of foam.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:36 AM   #5
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Looks very nice. You'll need a lot of friends to be able to keep up with emptying casks, but it'll be worth it!

Old 01-07-2010, 03:50 AM   #6
MrH
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sweet! I wasn't sure I'd ever see another Worthside this side of the pond. I bought mine a few years ago on ebay. If yours is like mine, the base is Mahogany (looks like it from the photos). Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to use mine in a permanent install yet, and I've only drawn about 10 gallons thru it. But I love it and can't wait to get the pub built so I can give it a permanent home. I encourage you to check out this site: http://biohazard.veriqikdsl.com/page15.html. These folks have done a great job researching and experimenting to get the best real ale experience from equipment we have commonly available here. If you don't want to spend $100 on a real cask breather, you can use an LP low pressure regulator (get a single stage one from an RV dealer). 11" Water Column, just a tad over atmospheric pressure, but you'll never be able to tell the difference, and you can get one under $20. Works great!

Congrats! I guarantee you'll love it

MrH

Old 01-07-2010, 04:04 AM   #7
commonlaw
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrH View Post
Sweet! I wasn't sure I'd ever see another Worthside this side of the pond. I bought mine a few years ago on ebay. If yours is like mine, the base is Mahogany (looks like it from the photos). Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to use mine in a permanent install yet, and I've only drawn about 10 gallons thru it. But I love it and can't wait to get the pub built so I can give it a permanent home. I encourage you to check out this site: http://biohazard.veriqikdsl.com/page15.html. These folks have done a great job researching and experimenting to get the best real ale experience from equipment we have commonly available here. If you don't want to spend $100 on a real cask breather, you can use an LP low pressure regulator (get a single stage one from an RV dealer). 11" Water Column, just a tad over atmospheric pressure, but you'll never be able to tell the difference, and you can get one under $20. Works great!

Congrats! I guarantee you'll love it

MrH
I was good on it up until they used a sparkler! Really though, that was an interesting read. Made me realize I need to get my pseudo cask beer to temp before venting.

How much are these things on eBay? I may have to try to wrestle one up.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:29 AM   #8
MrH
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I can't speak for the OP, but I had to search for a while and got lucky on ebay when I found a UK seller willing to ship to the US. If you go to ebay.co.uk, you can almost always find one, but most won't ship outside the UK. I had to go back and search to find my old paypal receipt. Keep in mind this was '05 when exchange rates were better, but I paid £106.00 total. £41 for the pump, and another £65 for shipping. Expensive, yes. Worth it? Absolutely! Then again, you could always get a refurbished one for $400

Old 01-07-2010, 04:31 AM   #9
Bsquared

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Thanks for the info MrH, thats a good site. I'm really excited to get this set up. Though i think I ran into a little problem that may be you can help me out with. after I unpacked the Engine I tried pumping a little sanitizer through it. It worked great for about 1/2 a gallon then I lost the vacuum, then the pump stopped working. Do you know if I can replace the gaskets on the in side? or know of a site where parts are sold? I contacted Worthside, and will contact the seller soon to see if he has some suggestions.

I noticed the unit was last serviced in 2005, so I would not be too surprised if an internal gasket failed.

Last edited by Bsquared; 01-07-2010 at 04:44 PM.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:42 PM   #10
Pickngrin
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That is just too cool. Enjoy your real ale!

Quick Reply