Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > BCS-460 Beta Test

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2008, 01:31 PM   #41
p4ck37p1mp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just found out I get mine Thursday or Friday, so expect another thread to get started!

-- "Unix is user friendly. However, it isn't idiot friendly."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2008, 02:59 AM   #42
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Can the control cable to the temp probe be removed to remove the keggles for washing without wash water damaging the temp probe terminals and socket end? I can picture the keggle rolling onto the brass probe and mashing those soft brass threads making the probe a useless item. If not waterproof plus protecting the threads with the cable disconnected will there be a end cap available that can be screwed onto the temp probe when the cable is removed like a automotive schrader valve stem cap before washing? Keggles electrically heated with the power and temp cords removed would prevent unnecessary cable and cord wear and tear plus the PITA of them in the way while cleaning the keggles at the end of a long brew day.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Old 12-15-2008, 03:58 AM   #43
np0x
Recipes 

Default Probe Removal

Quote:
Can the control cable to the temp probe be removed to remove the keggles for washing without wash water damaging the temp probe terminals and socket end?
Yeah, the temperature probes have a nice little compression fitting that goes around the temperature probe and is finger tightened(or a little bit more)...that comes right off, probe slides out and you can manipulate the keggle freely at that point. And it goes back in just as easy and is water tight without any messing around with teflon tape.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:44 AM   #44
trip2hard
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by p4ck37p1mp View Post
I just found out I get mine Thursday or Friday, so expect another thread to get started!

Can I come over and check it out..? I might still pick up that 2-row if your willing to get rid of a sack.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:27 AM   #45
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by np0x View Post
Yeah, the temperature probes have a nice little compression fitting that goes around the temperature probe and is finger tightened(or a little bit more)...that comes right off, probe slides out and you can manipulate the keggle freely at that point. And it goes back in just as easy and is water tight without any messing around with teflon tape.
That means you must loosen the compression nut which compresses the rubber or soft compressable washer around the probe then remove the probe and cable feeding it before removing and cleaning the keggles everytime at the end of a brewing session. What a PITA to replace the probe with a rod of the same diameter to prevent a leak you created by removing the temp probe and cable that's dangling so you can remove the keggle to properly clean it after every use. A new system put on the market fast as possible with good features but not 100% friendly to use or complete and functional unless it must be disassembled every time.
A quick race to market with a new item must mean fast profits vs any delays to correct a completely clean and simple to use system. Sorry I smell money as the priority here. Months ago I stated take your time on this project and make it right. Does this mean to remove the kettles for cleaning means removing the temp probe cable and adding a Trojan with rubber bands on the temp probe connection? Sounds like there is no waterproof cap available to protect the probe terminals not alone the threads from mechanical damge as brass threads are easy to damage. Just had to comment my disappointment to what started out as a great idea gone to market too fast. JMO's not to start a flame war.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:42 AM   #46
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Double post from above, don't get me wrong the 460 is the best item on the market by far and yes one will be on my system in some future time.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:49 AM   #47
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by np0x View Post
That means you must loosen the compression nut which compresses the rubber or soft compressable washer around the probe then remove the probe and cable feeding it before removing and cleaning the keggles everytime at the end of a brewing session. What a PITA to replace the probe with a rod of the same diameter to prevent a leak you just created by removing the temp probe hanging by the cable that's dangling while you remove the keggle to properly clean it after every use. A new system put on the market fast as possible with good features but not 100% simple friendly to use or complete and functional unless it must be disassembled every time. This will get old quick.
Was this a quick race to market for fast profits vs any added delays to correct and build a completely clean and simple to use system? Sorry I smell money as the priority here. Months ago I stated take your time on this project and make it right. This means to remove the kettles for cleaning everytime is to remove the temp probe cable then adding a Trojan with rubber band on the temp probe connection? Sounds like there is no waterproof cap available to protect the probe terminals not alone the threads from mechanical damge as brass threads are easy to damage. Just had to comment my disappointment to what started out as a great idea that's gone to market too fast. JMO's not to start a flame war.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:14 PM   #48
np0x
Recipes 

Default Disagree with $$$ as the primary motivation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer View Post
That means you must loosen the compression nut which compresses the rubber or soft compressable washer around the probe then remove the probe and cable feeding it before removing and cleaning the keggles everytime at the end of a brewing session. What a PITA to replace the probe with a rod of the same diameter to prevent a leak you just created by removing the temp probe hanging by the cable that's dangling while you remove the keggle to properly clean it after every use. A new system put on the market fast as possible with good features but not 100% simple friendly to use or complete and functional unless it must be disassembled every time. This will get old quick.
Was this a quick race to market for fast profits vs any added delays to correct and build a completely clean and simple to use system? Sorry I smell money as the priority here. Months ago I stated take your time on this project and make it right. This means to remove the kettles for cleaning everytime is to remove the temp probe cable then adding a Trojan with rubber band on the temp probe connection? Sounds like there is no waterproof cap available to protect the probe terminals not alone the threads from mechanical damge as brass threads are easy to damage. Just had to comment my disappointment to what started out as a great idea that's gone to market too fast. JMO's not to start a flame war.
To start with there is no reason a simple electrical quick disconnect couldn't be wired into the system so there was no need to remove the thermisters, the additional resistance of any additional wire or connectors is not relevant at the 10,000 ohm level the thermisters work.

Money is not the priority here(IMHO), I am not affiliated with the maker of the unit other than to be a beta tester, the device has been thoroughly built out PRIOR to the beginning of any trials/beta testing, and he has been very quality centric in the beta testing process actively soliciting input as to how to make the unit better, easy to use and generally extensible. The level of effort being put into to make the unit is extensive AND if you don't like the temperature probes you can get from him, any other 10,000 ohm (type n i believe) temperature probe can be used instead. Additionally the design is very open so if you want to use a different probe the system has facilities to enter the relevant details into the unit so it will read the alternate thermisister accurately. (Adam can speak more intelligently to that).

I have seen other products that easily fall into the vaporware or slipshod category, I don't see that here.

The first handful of units are shipping this week and again in the spirit of quality only a small handful of units are being shipped both because of the care being put into the fabrication, and getting it right from the start.

With regards to cleaning I do clean in place unless I want to fully disassemble my brewery at which point I can (admittedly) remove the thermsisters, if I need to move any of the keggles.

Does that help at all? (hrm, rereading the above, I guess I am a bit defensive of the level of effort being put into the thing, hope I didn't offend ya! But I do mean it.)

Old 12-15-2008, 01:46 PM   #49
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Don't mean to continute to get things riled up here... But I think some of you are missing the obvious. Yes the purpose is to get a product to market quickly, after all it's not a great product that sells in the beginning, it's name recognition...or being the first on the market. The lasting effects of quality come later after there are several competitors established. Either way, that's not what I wanted to talk about... sorry for the rant.

I've got temp probes in my system, and it's very similar to the system Slnies has... hell, he helped me build it. At every point that the plumbing enters any of my vessels, I place a threaded copper union. All of my probes are "in-line" as part of the plumbing. I never need to worry about screwing up my probes, because they are not in the kettles.

Mom was right. Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Where's my beer. I know I left it around here somewhere.....
Kegged/Drinking:Nihilistic Integrity - Black IPA, #1 BIAB pale ale, Bells Two Hearted - yes a keg of the real stuff
Kegged/Conditioning:Wally N Seans Braggot, Emerald Eyes - Irish Red, Atomic Tsunami - brown
Primary:empty

Old 12-15-2008, 03:52 PM   #50
eccsynd
control freak
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer View Post
Was this a quick race to market for fast profits vs any added delays to correct and build a completely clean and simple to use system? Sorry I smell money as the priority here.
The reason that I chose these probes is that you don't need a thermowell. They can be immersed in hot/boiling wort directly with an easy leakfree connection.

That being said, there is nothing stopping you from using a thermowell. The probes are 1/4" in diameter, not coincidentally the same as the standard thermowell inside diameter. With the thermowell installed on your system, you could remove the probe for cleaning without fear of a leaking void.

The probe housing is very rugged 304 Stainless Steel. As previously mentioned, it comes with a Brass bulkhead and compression sleeve. If you don't like Brass, please just think of the bulkhead as a nice free paperweight. Each system/brewer is different, so it would be impossible to offer every imaginable probe connection option.

Cheers!
Adam

BCS-460 Temperature Controller - Interactive web based interface, data logging, and programmable control rules.
http://www.embeddedcc.com
Become an ECC fan on Facebook

Quick Reply