Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > BCS-460 Beta Test

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #31
slimer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

In my mind, a netbook, like an EeePC would be a perfect compliment to a system like this. Small, portable and able to run FF.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 04:13 PM   #32
eccsynd
control freak
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer View Post
green is "go" or on and "Red" is off
Funny you should bring this up! There has been a very long email thread about this topic from the beta testers. Originally (in the version that you see in the screenshots) we have:
green: enabled - off
red: enabled - on
dark gray: unenabled (not controlled)

The thought process was that green-off = safety, red-on = hot/danger. But we agreed that the scheme was confusing. The new scheme that the beta testers and I have agreed to is:

gray- enabled off, or unenabled
red - on

With only one color (background default gray not included), hopefully there won't be any confusion. Anyone else have an opinion?

BCS-460 Temperature Controller - Interactive web based interface, data logging, and programmable control rules.
http://www.embeddedcc.com
Become an ECC fan on Facebook

Old 11-25-2008, 04:25 PM   #33
eccsynd
control freak
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimer View Post
In my mind, a netbook, like an EeePC would be a perfect compliment to a system like this. Small, portable and able to run FF.
Yes, anything that can run a browser can control it. In fact, one of our beta testers is developing an iPhone app. With the smaller resolutions, some of the formatting isn't ideal, so it would be a nice addition to put a minimalistic control page (no gauges, just text and buttons) so you could pull it up on a smaller display. I'll put that on the list.

BCS-460 Temperature Controller - Interactive web based interface, data logging, and programmable control rules.
http://www.embeddedcc.com
Become an ECC fan on Facebook

Old 11-25-2008, 04:27 PM   #34
slimer

Recipes 

I was just thinking that some people have brewstands and using a 9" netbook would be small enough to fit onto/into their control panels.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:17 AM   #35
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Ok, why not add a button we can press to select the background colors to be reversed from your red on, green off, to green on and red off as a option for the user of the unit to select. To me as an industrial electrician all our MMC units, start stops, magnetic starters and VFD all had green for on red for off. This is a massive reversed color problem I see with natural eye brain reflexes working this equipment all these years. Adding a small switch or pin hole above a small PC mounted switch to poke and reverse the operation status colors would be a big plus for this this unit. I would hate to open it up a brand new unit and change the LED's to the correct colors of operation.
Not to start a pissing war on a great project but this just blows me away from years working around MCC's magnetic starters and VFD control systems.
Your this far along and almost complete don't let this reversed color be one of its faults.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Old 12-04-2008, 04:25 AM   #36
np0x
Recipes 

It seems some cross linking is in order...my thread is on northern brewer's forums...

The Northern Brewer Homebrew Forum • View topic - Got my beta unit! (was: Temp Controller Beta testers needed)

cheers!

Old 12-04-2008, 06:06 AM   #37
contagent93
Recipes 

would this be able to control the entire brewing process for a steam based system

Old 12-04-2008, 11:21 AM   #38
slnies

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by contagent93 View Post
would this be able to control the entire brewing process for a steam based system
Contagent93,

Depends on how you set your system up. But steam control is quit possible given the capabilities of the BCS. In fact, the control part should be quit easy. One program to control the boiler and one for the mash. Keep in mind that you can run up to 4 processes at a time as long as you are not sharing outputs and inputs in those processes.

S.

Primary: American Wheat
Secondary: Phils Pils Clone

Old 12-04-2008, 01:52 PM   #39
np0x
Recipes 

Default yes

anything that you can switch on and off with electricity it can control...if you wanted to create a glycol based system it could control that, it could be used for home automation if you wanted to go that way, i am actually using it right now to keep my christmas lights outside on for only 4 hours in the evening, just cause I can. So if it can do christmas lights(definately not it's desired use) it can certainly control a steam system as long as you can switch a valve with electricity, the ssr's are able to control as much electricity as you want to control with them, as long as you buy the correctly spec'd ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by contagent93 View Post

Old 12-04-2008, 01:53 PM   #40
np0x
Recipes 

Default Additional cross linking to the other beta tester...

ECC PLC brewery controller - BrewBoard

There are three of us...

Quick Reply