Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > BCS-460 Beta Test

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2008, 06:43 AM   #21
mnadamn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The only problem I see with a PID control is that in brewing differnt beers with differnt OG's there really is no point to autotune. A beer with an OG of 1.07 will be denser then one with an OG of 1.04. It is for this reason that I run my PID without Auto-tune and have it run in simple on off mode. I can see how the option could be handy for some people, I just would never personally use it

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2008, 10:21 AM   #22
slnies

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer View Post
Nies; you should add a tie strap to secure that unit down unless a "G force" test is to be included in your product test. If I understand your last reply to me it does not learn but is "nats azz accurate" so that means any brewing corrections must be done by the brewer entering their information into it with corrections if needed for their desired end results.
How's the fun factor working with it?
Brewbeemer,

You are correct on all counts. As to the fun factor, it has been a blast to play and tinker about with. The interface has a new look as well. I will post pics as soon as I get home. I am on the road this week, so you probably won't see pic's until sunday.

S.

Primary: American Wheat
Secondary: Phils Pils Clone

Old 11-20-2008, 10:34 AM   #23
slnies

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnadamn View Post
The only problem I see with a PID control is that in brewing differnt beers with differnt OG's there really is no point to autotune. A beer with an OG of 1.07 will be denser then one with an OG of 1.04. It is for this reason that I run my PID without Auto-tune and have it run in simple on off mode. I can see how the option could be handy for some people, I just would never personally use it
mnadam,

you have a good point, but tuning the PID, to some degree, will be required. You are right that the density will change those values, but not to a great extent. You and I, most likely don't need auto-tune because we understand how to tune manually. For most people though, auto-tune is a feature on a PID that comes in quite handy, because now they do not have to understand how a PID works. They just have to press the button and let it do its thing. Great feedback though, and I will admit, to this point, I have not needed to mess with the PID tuning wise, although that may change after the water tests are complete. Thanks, once more for the great feedback. S.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:46 PM   #24
slnies

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Today the water test is underway. I will post screen shots of the data, so you all can see how my system performed, to show case the BCS's data collection ability, and to show the new interface.

Cheers! S.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:29 PM   #25
Flipper
Recipes 

Awesome!!!!!! Looking forward to seeing how things go.

Primary - Fat Tire Clone
Secondary - Hop Rod Rye Clone
Bottled - Mack and Jack's Clone
Drinking - West Coast Blonde Ale

Old 11-24-2008, 12:33 AM   #26
slnies

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well, here are the results:

This first image is aways into the water test. It reflects my testing of the different functions while in operation.

This second one is the whole sha bang. Strike water heat up, doe in, mash, and mash out.

This is the new look. There are some added features. One being the out puts being lite in the top right corner. Green is active and red is running. tell me what you all think.

This last one here, is a peek at the programing page. This is were you go to program the state machines.

As for the test. The BCS is operating as expected. There have been some functions added to the little black box since I got it. I will say that they are all, no none sense additions that make a lot of sense. These boys are going all out putting the finale touches into the package. Some functions include the nifty output lights at the top and others include "in process PID adjustment" as well as a "pause button" so one can pause a process in the middle without restarting the program. It sounds like there are some more on the way as well. I will be sure to keep everyone posted when they come online.
The data section of the program is real nice. It will allow me to dial in the Mashes and ferments right down to the Nat's butt hair. Awesome awesome feature. You can also save your configurations. Big plus in anyone's book. This makes the BCS a multi machine brain box. If you have a different machine to hook up to, you load a new configuration. Anyway, that is my two cents for the day. If you have questions, shoot. S.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:35 AM   #27
N5629
Recipes 

Any word on when this will be made available to the brewing public?

Primary - Nothing.
Secondary - Nothing.
Bottled - Nothing.

This semester needs to end. Now.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:00 AM   #28
slnies

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by N5629 View Post
Any word on when this will be made available to the brewing public?
I do not know when, but it sounds like it will be soon. When it comes to market or at least there is a date I am sure we will get some word as to when. The creator of the BCS at Embedded Control Concepts has been very good about communicating with use. That is there is more testers than just me, beta testing this machine. When word of an official release date comes down I will pass it on. I would guess though that eccsynd will make the announcement when the time comes as it is his creation and hard work, that I and others have had the privilege of using, abusing, and taking to the limits. Sean.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:13 AM   #29
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

From another forum that has a member also testing this Beta system it sounded like it was going to be ready for market rather soon with only a few
minor adjustments that have already been made with successful results.
This was only yesterdays followings on another forum. I believe the name Adam came up and was the master mind for this beta 460 unit. I may be wrong reading forums for 19 straight hours. Can't even find where I was on the net anymore screens a blur.
My opinion without shooting myself in the foot this Beta system will come to market more for the home brewer and builder who wants to build their own system that highly repeats itself on brew days and is affordable. I for one do not have money to throw at a nearly $6,000 unit like a Sabco or I bet the cost of that industrial touch screen unit that was looking for investors before going to market. That's a tip off "investors" sound alone like a product pricing war going after Sabco but near in the same market price range of almost $6,000 remember shippings involved in these heavy Sabco units plus there has to be a profit made on each unit. JMO's not to start a flame war just how I see it on what's going on so far. Hurrah for the Beta success and the people
designing it plus hands on like slnies doing the real world testing. Only thing I did not like is the red and green lighting added to the panels top right corner telling what system is on, to me green is "go" or on and "Red" is off not the opposite colors posted above unless I was tripping out again not reading the on off color control panel correctly? I have screwed up just ask the wife.
I'm surprised others have not chimed in on this project test?

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Old 11-25-2008, 12:12 PM   #30
slnies

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

BrewBeemer,

You are well informed. The beta tests are being carried out by two others besides myself. They were selected from two other forums. It does sound like the BCS will be ready for market rather soon. All the data shows that the latest developments with the programing and integration on the BCS has been a success. I will back this up with my own experiences as well.

Thanks by the way for the input on the button lighting. Keep the critiques coming. S.

Quick Reply