New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > BCS-460 Beta Test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2008, 10:59 PM   #11
slnies
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
I didn't mean to be so critical, I guess I just meant that the grey interface was kind of boring.....maybe different "skins" would be cool. As far as the probe connect, I meant where it hooks up to the unit. It looks like there's a naked connection where you insert the probe wires on the terminal. Maybe a "plug in" like on a 1394 cable....or even like a cellphone charger?
Steve,

Be critical, be constructive, but by all means, tell use what you really think. Both Ideas are great. That is exactly to kid of input we are looking for. S.

Primary: American Wheat
Secondary: Phils Pils Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2008, 11:11 PM   #12
slnies

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveBrew View Post
Does the software support integrated PID? Also what is the total analog and digital I/O's, I couldn't tell from the other page whether there were an additional 4 inputs besides the 4 mV inputs for thermocouples or not. Any plans for expansion modules or an advanced model? That may be your way to seperate them is to sell an advanced module with more I/O's and heavier software, and then the current unit with a lite version.
DiveBrew,

The answer to the first question is yes. You can select between PID operation or differential control for each probe. For the second question there are four 5Volt discrete inputs, and six outputs. The discrete inputs are for whatever you want them to be on the rig, level sensors, buttons, switches, or whatever else you could think of. There are also 4 web inputs. These are button on the user interface. S.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:53 AM   #13
DiveBrew
Recipes 

Thanks for the response, are you allowed to take detailed pics of the module, or is that not permitted with the beta. If so I would appreciate a picture or two of the module (terminals) since it doesn't show on their site.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:31 AM   #14
slnies

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveBrew View Post
Thanks for the response, are you allowed to take detailed pics of the module, or is that not permitted with the beta. If so I would appreciate a picture or two of the module (terminals) since it doesn't show on their site.
Well, I don't see any harm in it, all the secrets are inside the little black box. LOL. So here is a illustration that is an accurate representation. A beta tester from another forum created this. Afterwork, I will post a pic.

The terminals are a screw down compression type, pretty standard for the automation industry. Cheers. S.

Last edited by slnies; 11-13-2008 at 11:37 AM.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:08 PM   #15
DiveBrew
Recipes 

Slnies,

Thanks that diagram is all I needed, don't worry about the pics.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:32 AM   #16
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

For the level sensors what is the maximum amount of current this unit can handle per sensor connection? I may have missed these specs somewhere posted above. My thinking is only 5-20ma and let it control SSR's for pumps, panel lights or alarms. Will this unit also learn the system it's operating then learn to come up to temps without overshooting these temps?
As posted above the connection to the temp probe must be "O" ringed or waterproof? Would be nice if they also had 90 degree connections to the probes reducing the snag and destroy factor. As with anything new minor adjustments until the final product is ready.
You have an early x-mas item to play and learn about.
I like the part about once all informations entered then you can move around without a laptop attached full time.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Old 11-14-2008, 03:32 AM   #17
slnies

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer View Post
For the level sensors what is the maximum amount of current this unit can handle per sensor connection? I may have missed these specs somewhere posted above. My thinking is only 5-20ma and let it control SSR's for pumps, panel lights or alarms. Will this unit also learn the system it's operating then learn to come up to temps without overshooting these temps?
As posted above the connection to the temp probe must be "O" ringed or waterproof? Would be nice if they also had 90 degree connections to the probes reducing the snag and destroy factor. As with anything new minor adjustments until the final product is ready.
You have an early x-mas item to play and learn about.
I like the part about once all informations entered then you can move around without a laptop attached full time.
Well, I will be honest, as far as what each terminal will handle, amp wise, I could not tell you. I will have to ask. As far as what the unit is designed for in that respect, I can tell you that it will handle SSR's without a problem, and level sensors, as I borrowed one from a buddy for a day to play with a program. As far as what the machine is capable of, your imagination and your understanding of a state machine will be your guide. That is to say, however you program it with the "simple to use" state machines, it will do. The PID functions are not auto tune. Once it is tuned it will be very consistent every time. The settings that it comes with, are really, very good anyway, so in my experience with it, I have not had to touch it. As far as automatic operation goes, if you program it that way, all you have to do is hit start, and it will go. This is how my fermentation program is set up.
As far as water proofing goes, that is a good idea. I planed on putting my BCS-460 in an enclosure in the near future to make everything neat. Good feedback, keep it coming. S.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:04 AM   #18
eccsynd
control freak
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Output current is rated at 20ma per output. Currently there is no autotune feature, although that might come in a future firmware update if there is interest.

BCS-460 Temperature Controller - Interactive web based interface, data logging, and programmable control rules.
http://www.embeddedcc.com
Become an ECC fan on Facebook

Old 11-14-2008, 08:12 PM   #19
slnies

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Here are some more pic's. Today I installed the fittings so that I could hook the temperature probe up to the MLT, and while I was at it I put the pump on a SSR as well.

So the first three pictures are the new fitting, the probe before install, and the probe installed. All in all a pretty quick and easy deal, just screw it in. The last picture is the full set up,ready to go. All that remains is to do, is a water test. Then I can do a full brew. Once I have that under the belt, I will add the HLT, and do it all over again.
Enjoy! S.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:45 AM   #20
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Nies; you should add a tie strap to secure that unit down unless a "G force" test is to be included in your product test. If I understand your last reply to me it does not learn but is "nats azz accurate" so that means any brewing corrections must be done by the brewer entering their information into it with corrections if needed for their desired end results.
How's the fun factor working with it?

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Last edited by BrewBeemer; 11-20-2008 at 03:50 AM.

Quick Reply