Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > BCS-460 Beta Test

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 01:51 AM   #151
datamike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheels View Post
Any pics of systems using the controller. Just purchased mine and will start putting things together in the coming weeks. I'm sure lots of questions to follow.

BrewDevil Build

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2009, 12:38 AM   #152
tarheels
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

are you HERMS brewers recirculating continuous or just when needed to maintain temp. trying to put the process down on paper, thanks for help

Old 05-06-2009, 01:06 AM   #153
caskconditioned
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheels View Post
are you HERMS brewers recirculating continuous or just when needed to maintain temp. trying to put the process down on paper, thanks for help
I recirculate continuously to maintain temps. I use a converted sanke keg as a MT so it tends to loose heat much faster than say, a gott cooler. The HERMS really works well in maintaining the temps as well as doing small temp adjustments. For example: I try to mash-in a few degrees below my target temp. I then set the PID to the target temp, turn the pump on etc. The mash reaches the target temp in 3-4 min. and then the constant recirculation/HERMS keeps it there until I am ready to sparge (I don't do a mash-out). Oh, I should mention that I currently don't use the BCS-460 (I have a PID) but I am planning on "upgrading" my system this summer and incorporating the BCS. Hope that helps.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:03 AM   #154
tarheels
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks, that helps alot, i to will use a converted keg. this is slowly coming along.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:15 AM   #155
jeremysavoy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

In the process of converting 3 sanke kegs to brewing vessels, the automation provided by the BCS-460 is exactly what I've been looking for - very nice work.

/subscribe

Old 10-29-2011, 10:13 PM   #156
lotwookie
Recipes 

Hey guys I'm looking to purchase a OS for my Brutus 10 build and I'm leaning towards the BCS but was wanting your opinions on what you use or prefer. Also why would I buy the BCS-462 over the BCS-460? Is there that big of a difference? Thanks for the help!

Old 10-30-2011, 04:26 PM   #157
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 46

The primary differences between the 460 and 462 are the number of inputs/outputs.

The BCS-462 interactive temperature controller:
8 temperature inputs
8 discrete inputs
18 discrete outputs (6 PWM)

BCS-460 interactive temperature controller:
4 temperature inputs
4 discrete inputs
6 discrete outputs (6 PWM)

I have the BCS-460. I got mine shortly after it was released, so the 462 wasn't available yet. I use mine primarily for the mash on my eHERMS. I'm using two of the four temp inputs (one for HEX and one for HLT) and three outputs to control three solid state relays (HEX, HLT, and pump). It's the only controller I've ever used so I can't really comment on other controllers (e.g. Ranco, Brew Troller, etc.) but I love it. Ranco temp controllers seem to work great but they don't allow quite as much automation as a BCS system. Brew Troller is pretty sweet and even more flexible than the BCS from what I've seen but you also have to be pretty comfortable with electronics in order to set them up. If you haven't already done so, think about everything you want to control on your brew rig. You can also use it for controlling a kegerator and/or fermentation chamber, so keep those in mind too. Total up the number of temp inputs you need and that should help you decide between the 460 and 462.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:54 PM   #158
PLOVE
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 17

lotwookie -

I'm building my control box around a 460, since I think I'll only need 4 temperature inputs (1 HLT, 1 KT, 1 HERMS, 1 fermenting chamber). If you think you'll need more temp monitoring go with the 462.

Another option to consider is that you can add an additional 12 discrete outputs and 4 discrete inputs by adding a digi16 for $34. Nice expandability. I think you can even piggy back these to get upwards of 36 additional outputs and 12 additional inputs. These are great if you find yourself wanting to fully automate your system beyond simple pumps and temps.

PLOVE

Old 10-30-2011, 05:57 PM   #159
PLOVE
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Post snatch alert!

For those of you with a 460, how did you mount the 10 pin connectors to your control boxes. The 462 pin connectors seem to have wings with screw holes, the 460 does not. I'd like to be able to "plug" the BCS in when I need, and remove it when I don't. This neccessitates mounting the pin connectors . . .

thanks,
PLOVE

Old 10-31-2011, 02:37 AM   #160
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLOVE View Post
lotwookie -
Another option to consider is that you can add an additional 12 discrete outputs and 4 discrete inputs by adding a digi16 for $34.
PLOVE
Just to clarify, the digi16 does not add any additional temperature inputs. If you need more than four you will need to buy the 462.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLOVE View Post
For those of you with a 460, how did you mount the 10 pin connectors to your control boxes. The 462 pin connectors seem to have wings with screw holes, the 460 does not. I'd like to be able to "plug" the BCS in when I need, and remove it when I don't. This neccessitates mounting the pin connectors . . .
My 460 is mounted remotely in the basement. I ran some cat6 from the garage (where I brew) to the basement. I used some industrial strength velcro to mount the 460 itself, but I didn't mount the green connector to anything. You might be able to rig something up using something similar. I rarely unplug mine.

Quick Reply