HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheels View Post
BrewBeemer,

Question about how you are planing to use a temp prob on the outflow of your herms. Is your coil inside the HLT or a seperate pot. thanks

tarheels; I was planning on one 4" probe in the side of the HLT around the middle of the keggle between the HERMS coils plus using one of the 8" or 9" bronze outboard racing props of 40's/50's era I have a from the family racing, I must add this item to this project. The prop will be connected to a variable speed stir gearmotor. Zero to 82 rpm motor speed controled from a tennis ball machine I salvaged. It has a 90 VDC gearmotor with controller off 120 VAC. On the discharge of the HERMS coil between the HLT and MLT another 4" probe to get the exact temps entering the MLT when the HERMS circulation pump and stir motor are running. The plan I have is to heat the HLT with 11KW, two 5.5KW elements not in direct contact inside the HLT's water. This quick temp rise controlled by the probe on the side of the HLT until close to the set temp. After i've come close to set temp in the HLT then switch to the MLT and repeat the same heating operation. When the HLT and MLT are near the set temps then have one 5.5KW element under each, the MLT and HLT energized to heat until the set temp is reached. The HERMS pump and stir prop will run thru out the mash process. This way my maximum wattage will be 11KW for both elements, stir motor, the BCS-460 unit a few odd LED lights I might add. Like I posted above going to a 6" long probe instead of 4" but placing it somewhere like 6" off the bottom of the MLT, the temp in the MLT should be rather stable thru out the total mash time, well that's the plan.
With 186 sq/in surface area not counting added area from the dished bottom of the keggles call it 190 sq/in surface area plus electrically heated this allows for low even heating temps from the bottom without hot spots or extreme high temp differences on the bottom that a propane or NG burner might add to the mash. This should result in a low stable temp thru out the MLT. Just a probe order change instead of just four 4" probes from Adam I would add two 6" probes to my order. This way i'll have a probe length choice plus a 6" probe in hand for the future conical fermenter. I will add sight tubes to all the keggles on this project.
Shipping for one $16 item later will cost me almost as much as the item itself. Heck order everything at once and be done.

Unless they make me into a voodoo doll this coming monday plus keeping me on heavy meds i'll end up buying a round of drinks while in this mellow mood. You wouldn't believe how long it took to type this this reply seeing double then walking the house many times as I can not sit or stand very long even the way I feel even on meds. No bier now this really sucks while on heavy meds, I can only sample sniff what i'm missing. Done rambling. And they call this it "better living thru drugs", I hate the dang things just give me my suds. Did I answer your questions or confuse you more? Hell i'm confused myself lately. The wife felt sorry for me and came home with some non alcoholic bier while i'm on these heavy meds plus morphine sulfate when needed. Now that's an insult for the taste buds. About as bad as a UV destroyed Corona, yuck is a mild reply.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Last edited by BrewBeemer; 05-07-2009 at 07:15 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2009, 02:19 AM   #142
tarheels
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Any pics of systems using the controller. Just purchased mine and will start putting things together in the coming weeks. I'm sure lots of questions to follow.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:39 AM   #143
np0x
Recipes 

For no particular reason, i have been posting on the northern brewer forum predominantly on this subject so I have a couple of posts that speak both abstractly and concretely on the subject.

The Northern Brewer Homebrew Forum • View topic - Test Drive a BCS-460 Temperature Controller

The Northern Brewer Homebrew Forum • View topic - iphone control my brewery...

and I think the one you really want is this one that show's some blood:

The Northern Brewer Homebrew Forum • View topic - Got my beta unit! (was: Temp Controller Beta testers needed)

Where is your brewery conceptually? Mine is all electric except from 168->boil temps. HERMS using a Chillzilla as the heat exchanger. 10 Gallons, ~3000 watts.

Another (local) bcs owner and I have been talking about documenting some of the stuff we have built, it's fun like having an erector set again, making stuff and learning about random things like the difference between 120V AC led's(really called voltage indicators) and DC led's and how to use them, and so forth. He has been building a nice box to contain all the electrical which while not necessary, has proven to be an entertaining game of one-upsman-ship, he is currently beating me hands down. But like any good race, i haven't really started, so I get to steal all his ideas, then it will be his turn to one up me.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:52 AM   #144
np0x
Recipes 

Quote:
In fact, one of our beta testers is developing an iPhone app.
in case you didn't notice the thread above the iphone app is the new thread, it has been submitted to apple and the need for a laptop of any sort while brewing should be greatly diminished i like to think if you have an ipod touch or iphone. And if it's not I will release a newer version of Brew Buddy, the iphone interface to the bcs. I will post a link to the itunes store when the application makes it's way through the apple approval process.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:25 PM   #145
slimer

Recipes 

Would it be compatible with an ipod touch as well?

Old 03-20-2009, 02:33 PM   #146
np0x
Recipes 

Yeah, and you wouldn't have that pesky monthly contract to go with it...

Old 03-20-2009, 02:40 PM   #147
slimer

Recipes 

I have Tmobile.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:42 PM   #148
np0x
Recipes 

Quote:
I have Tmobile
I guess I meant you wouldn't have a NEW pesky monthly contract.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:41 AM   #149
np0x
Recipes 

Default Brew Buddy

In case you missed my other thread, the iphone app for the bcs-460 is now in a released 1.0 state: http://software.druidhillroad.com for screen shots, video and itunes link.

Get Brew Buddy to control your bcs-460 brewery... Brewery Automation for the masses...

Old 04-26-2009, 06:05 PM   #150
slnies

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by np0x View Post
In case you missed my other thread, the iphone app for the bcs-460 is now in a released 1.0 state: http://software.druidhillroad.com for screen shots, video and itunes link.
That is sweet. Call the rig and get the water started, then call the wife to tell here that you will be brewing the second you are home. My wife might kill me, but the cool factor might make up for the added pain.

Primary: American Wheat
Secondary: Phils Pils Clone

Quick Reply