Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > BCS-460 Beta Test
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009, 06:48 PM   #121
Stevorino
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 939
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

So am I correct in assuming that you'd only need 1 output in a standard HERMS system -- a scolenoid valve for the HLT?

__________________

-Stevorino-_________________________________________
In Keezer:
1. BCS - Wet Hopped West Coast Blaster
2. CYBI - Gordon's IPA Clone
3. BCS - Scottish -80
4. BCS - Specialty Saison (Gold Medal at BMO)
In Process:
1. BCS - Janet's Brown Ale (Fermenting)

Stevorino is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 07:00 PM   #122
slimer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
slimer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Westmont, IL
Posts: 723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevorino View Post
So am I correct in assuming that you'd only need 1 output in a standard HERMS system -- a scolenoid valve for the HLT?
No, you can also add a relay for the pump(s) if you add a float switch to the MLT for the sparge.
__________________
slimer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 07:01 PM   #123
slnies
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
slnies's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Maple Lake MN
Posts: 867
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevorino View Post
So am I correct in assuming that you'd only need 1 output in a standard HERMS system -- a scolenoid valve for the HLT?
No, You would actually need two. You would need a output to control your gas/pilot valve system on the HLT and an output to control the pump for the recirc. through the HERMS for the MLT. You could set the system up a couple of different ways. You could leave the circ. pump on constantly and step temperatures with the HLT or you could set the HLT to one temp, say 160F and use the pump for control of the temperature in the MLT. One is not better than the other in my opinion. Either way you have a completely automated mash. S.
__________________
Nies

Primary: American Wheat
Secondary: Phils Pils Clone

slnies is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 07:05 PM   #124
slnies
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
slnies's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Maple Lake MN
Posts: 867
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimer View Post
No, you can also add a relay for the pump(s) if you add a float switch to the MLT for the sparge.
Float switch is an input, but it could be used to control a solenoid for an automatic fly sparge. Good call on the Idea Slimer.
__________________
Nies

Primary: American Wheat
Secondary: Phils Pils Clone
slnies is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 07:28 PM   #125
Stevorino
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 939
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slnies View Post
No, You would actually need two. You would need a output to control your gas/pilot valve system on the HLT and an output to control the pump for the recirc. through the HERMS for the MLT. You could set the system up a couple of different ways. You could leave the circ. pump on constantly and step temperatures with the HLT or you could set the HLT to one temp, say 160F and use the pump for control of the temperature in the MLT. One is not better than the other in my opinion. Either way you have a completely automated mash. S.
So...tell me if this sounds like the right idea:

4 Temperature Probes:
1) Boil Kettle
2) Mash Tun
3) Hot Liquor Tun
4) Probe for Wort flowing out of HLT and back into MLT

2 Outputs:
1) Pilot Light
2) Scolenoid Valve on HLT

This would allow me to monitor the temperature on all my vessels and control the burner for the HLT. Thus, if I wanted to a step mash, I would always have the pump flowing, but I'd control the heat of the water in the HLT with the Scolenoid valve. Pilot light would essentially stay on during the entire mash....if so, would that even need an output?

Questions: How much is a float switch and a switch for the pumps to control an automated fly sparge?

Right now I'm thinking this rig would cost me to batch sparge:

$200 Box of Miracles
$64 for Probes from ECC website
$10 for 1 relay for Scolenoid Valve
$120 Scolenoid Valve
$100 Immersion Chiller for HLT Coil
$50 Fittings for Chiller in HLT
$70 Tubing & Disconnects
$150 Pump

Total - $764

What am I missing/miscalculating?
__________________

-Stevorino-_________________________________________
In Keezer:
1. BCS - Wet Hopped West Coast Blaster
2. CYBI - Gordon's IPA Clone
3. BCS - Scottish -80
4. BCS - Specialty Saison (Gold Medal at BMO)
In Process:
1. BCS - Janet's Brown Ale (Fermenting)

Stevorino is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 09:03 PM   #126
slimer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
slimer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Westmont, IL
Posts: 723
Default

Do you already have burners?

Solenoid for Brew Kettle
Relay for Brew

I'm willing to bet that there's little parts here and there that add up to more than you're calculating.

Tubing is expensive. Fittings are expensive. Are you planning on hard plumbing the gas? There's extra $.

I'm sure that it will end up being $800-$900 total.

I've been pricing my system out as well. My shopping list is almost complete. I've already checked off a bunch of things.

Adam-How about changing the name of the BCS to the Box of Miracles? I think it's viable.

__________________
slimer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 09:24 PM   #127
Stevorino
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 939
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimer View Post
Do you already have burners?

Solenoid for Brew Kettle
Relay for Brew

I'm willing to bet that there's little parts here and there that add up to more than you're calculating.

Tubing is expensive. Fittings are expensive. Are you planning on hard plumbing the gas? There's extra $.

I'm sure that it will end up being $800-$900 total.

I've been pricing my system out as well. My shopping list is almost complete. I've already checked off a bunch of things.

Adam-How about changing the name of the BCS to the Box of Miracles? I think it's viable.
Where are you getting your stuff Slimey? It sounds like you've done your research!

What are you getting the solenoid for the BK for? Just to automate that as well?
__________________

-Stevorino-_________________________________________
In Keezer:
1. BCS - Wet Hopped West Coast Blaster
2. CYBI - Gordon's IPA Clone
3. BCS - Scottish -80
4. BCS - Specialty Saison (Gold Medal at BMO)
In Process:
1. BCS - Janet's Brown Ale (Fermenting)

Stevorino is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 09:42 PM   #128
slnies
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
slnies's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Maple Lake MN
Posts: 867
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevorino View Post
So...tell me if this sounds like the right idea:

4 Temperature Probes:
1) Boil Kettle
2) Mash Tun
3) Hot Liquor Tun
4) Probe for Wort flowing out of HLT and back into MLT

2 Outputs:
1) Pilot Light
2) Scolenoid Valve on HLT

This would allow me to monitor the temperature on all my vessels and control the burner for the HLT. Thus, if I wanted to a step mash, I would always have the pump flowing, but I'd control the heat of the water in the HLT with the Scolenoid valve. Pilot light would essentially stay on during the entire mash....if so, would that even need an output?
i
You have the Idea, I would most likely put the pump on an output as well and then I would elevate the HLT, to let gravity do the sparge for you. Of course you would then need a output for a solenoid there as well. Just remember if you can dream it, then there is a way. It may not end up how you envision it, but anything is posable. So "let her buck!". S.
__________________
Nies

Primary: American Wheat
Secondary: Phils Pils Clone
slnies is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 09:43 PM   #129
eccsynd
control freak
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
eccsynd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 175
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevorino View Post
Whatt am I missing/miscalculating?
I'd recommend getting as many SSRs as you can. They're usually sold in batches of 3-5 on ebay. You can get 5 for $40 if you shop around. That way you can automate your pump, maybe fermentation temp control or kegerator, you get the idea..

You might not think its necessary to automate your pump, since it'll run the whole time. But trust me, there's something very satisfying about clicking a button and watching your whole system spring to life...

One thing that your missing in your list is the pilot light. Depending on what you want there for safety, some solutions can get pricey.
__________________

BCS-460 Temperature Controller - Interactive web based interface, data logging, and programmable control rules.
http://www.embeddedcc.com
Become an ECC fan on Facebook

eccsynd is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 09:44 PM   #130
slimer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
slimer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Westmont, IL
Posts: 723
Default

The solenoid for the brew kettle I would think be a part of the sparge process.

I'm going electric, but I was thinking about going NG for a long time. If you want to offboard some of the sourcing discussion to PM, I'll give you my list.

__________________
slimer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beta Glucan rest? SpanishCastleAle All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 9 04-15-2014 01:46 AM
BTP 1.5 Beta is out now. Bobby_M Brewing Software 59 09-03-2008 05:54 PM
Bottling a test soda bottle for squeeze test? beergears Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 11-07-2007 11:10 PM
What is 'Beta' in hops? Kayos General Beer Discussion 2 10-01-2007 10:05 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS