New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Bayou Classic SP10 - not worth buying

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #11
Mumbly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheFourth
I had this problem with mine at first - I was convinced the burner was defective. Turns out I just didn't read the directions. You need to close the little valve on the regulator all the way, then connect the hose to the tank, then open the tank valve. Then, while holding a lighter near the burner, slowly open the mini valve. Should light right up.
I agree with everyone else, give bobs advice a shot before writing off your burner. I started using mine for 5 gallon batches, now it's on my new brew stand heating sparge water for 10 gallon batches. Gets up to temps in under an hour.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #12
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Something just ain't right here. I have an old version with 4 round stock legs with the same burner and just bought a new one of the current version with the 3 flat stock legs. I'm considering buying a third with the $10 off $50 purchase coupon Lowes just sent me because the new design is that much better. Don't leave the outside though. The cast iron burner will rust and you really will have flame issues.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 09-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #13
jperry
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 491

Did you check the gas regulator hose for leaks? The first one I bought had a leak, in the hose, and Amazon replaced...

Old 09-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #14
JoeMomma85
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The burner, tank or regulator is causing it. Try the suggestions posted above. I can take 15 gallons from room temp to boiling in about an hour.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #15
Demon
SlapShot Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 9

My guess is the propane tank safety valve engaged so fuel is barely trickling out. Close regulator valve, close tank valve, remove hose, reconnect hose, open tank valve, open regulator valve, ignite. This process will reset the safety valve.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #16
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon
My guess is the propane tank safety valve engaged so fuel is barely trickling out. Close regulator valve, close tank valve, remove hose, reconnect hose, open tank valve, open regulator valve, ignite. This process will reset the safety valve.
This. Winner.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 09-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #17
xmacro
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon View Post
Well, I was about to chuck this thing out the window until I read this - now it sounds like a jet engine and I'm getting ready to give it another shot.

Much appreciate the help

Old 09-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #18
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmacro

Well, I was about to chuck this thing out the window until I read this - now it sounds like a jet engine and I'm getting ready to give it another shot.

Much appreciate the help
Try this sometime. With the tank and regulator disconnected from each other turn the tank and regulator valves open and screw the regulator on to the tank. You will hear a "tinck" sound. That is the safety ball actuating. Turn the regulator off, tank off, tank on, regulator on, and you should have gas flow. It's to keep people from not checking the appliance from hooking it up and filling the backyard up with propane while the neighbor is on the patio burning a cigarette.

Edit: don't try this with an old tank without the external threads and OPD. You would be venting propane from step 1.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:06 AM   #19
xmacro
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 53

25 minutes to get to a boil. Much better

Old 09-29-2012, 01:11 AM   #20
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png