Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Bayou Classic SP-10
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2008, 10:06 PM   #1
joejaz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
joejaz's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 375
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Bayou Classic SP-10

Anybody have this burner for a keggle, it's the one with the round cooking surface. Looking to modify it for use with keggle. Keggle too unstable on cooking surface. Was thinking of bolting L-brackets to sides, any suggestions. Bayou has a square one but that comes witha 10psi this is a 20psi burner.

__________________

Joe

"Life is too short to drink cheap beer."

joejaz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2008, 01:51 AM   #2
Mustangj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mustangj's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dublin, Oh
Posts: 1,439
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

KAB5

http://homebrewheaven.com/

__________________
"If my mother was tied up and held ransom, I might think about making a light beer."Greg Koch
Stone Brewing

Michigan Mashers
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/michigan-mashers/
Mustangj is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2008, 02:36 AM   #3
SwAMi75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SwAMi75's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Midwest City, OK
Posts: 2,492
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

As you say, it'll have to be modified to accommodate a keggle. I used the same one with a charcaol grill grate on top of it for a while. It worked OK--heated well, but was very loud and used a lot of gas.

I switched to the square one with the 10psi regulator, and couldn't be happier. Seems to heat just as well, but it's much more stable, quiet, and easy on propane. Got it for $50 at Lowes.

__________________
May you go marching in three-measure time
Dressed up as asses, drunk to the nines
Swing from the rafters, shouting those songs
Gone unsung for far too long

SwAMi75 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
Funkenjaeger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Funkenjaeger's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 1,637
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Well you can put the 20PSI regulator onto a different burner, as long as the actual burner element can handle the higher pressure - the SP-10 seems to have the standard cone-shaped burner element in it that the majority of other burners use, so it shouldn't be a problem to find a compatible one.

With that said, I sure do enjoy the heat output of my KAB5, and it holds a keggle just fine
FYI, the burner Mustangj included a picture of above is a KAB4, not a KAB5, and the KAB4 supposedly does not hold a keggle very well. The KAB5 has sturdier/bigger legs.

__________________
Funkenjaeger is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Lil' Sparky's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 4,013
Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

Default

Here's how I modified mine.



See it fits a keg just fine now.



But seriously, I agree that those stands aren't good for a keggle. I have seen some people who have laid a larger grill grate over the top and then set the keggle on top of that. That seems like a cheap workable solution.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman2 View Post
I dub this beer the Double Slutty Triple Nutty Bodacious Booty Brunette!
Lil' Sparky is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2008, 05:21 PM   #6
Mustangj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mustangj's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dublin, Oh
Posts: 1,439
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkenjaeger
Well you can put the 20PSI regulator onto a different burner, as long as the actual burner element can handle the higher pressure - the SP-10 seems to have the standard cone-shaped burner element in it that the majority of other burners use, so it shouldn't be a problem to find a compatible one.

With that said, I sure do enjoy the heat output of my KAB5, and it holds a keggle just fine
FYI, the burner Mustangj included a picture of above is a KAB4, not a KAB5, and the KAB4 supposedly does not hold a keggle very well. The KAB5 has sturdier/bigger legs.

I used the wrong pic.

__________________
"If my mother was tied up and held ransom, I might think about making a light beer."Greg Koch
Stone Brewing

Michigan Mashers
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/michigan-mashers/
Mustangj is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2008, 07:36 PM   #7
joejaz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
joejaz's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 375
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Spoke to Bayou Classic, says the sp 10 is better suited for brewing then the
sq 14 with the square frame. Problem is stabiliy of keg on it. Found a 22 in round grill at Lowes for $12.49 which seems to have remedied the problem. Can bolt it to burner frame or just rest it on top, seems very stable

__________________

Joe

"Life is too short to drink cheap beer."

joejaz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2008, 03:46 AM   #8
SwAMi75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SwAMi75's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Midwest City, OK
Posts: 2,492
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejaz
Spoke to Bayou Classic, says the sp 10 is better suited for brewing then the
sq 14 with the square frame. Problem is stabiliy of keg on it. Found a 22 in round grill at Lowes for $12.49 which seems to have remedied the problem. Can bolt it to burner frame or just rest it on top, seems very stable
Not quite sure I understand that.....the SP-10 is 14" in diameter, while a keg is 15". The square one is 16"X16"....how could the one that is too small be more stable? I've used them both, and the square one is way more stable.

No matter, sounds like you are using yours just like I used mine--with a grill grate on it. It gets the job done!
__________________
May you go marching in three-measure time
Dressed up as asses, drunk to the nines
Swing from the rafters, shouting those songs
Gone unsung for far too long

SwAMi75 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2008, 09:15 AM   #9
joejaz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
joejaz's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 375
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwAMi75
Not quite sure I understand that.....the SP-10 is 14" in diameter, while a keg is 15". The square one is 16"X16"....how could the one that is too small be more stable? I've used them both, and the square one is way more stable.

No matter, sounds like you are using yours just like I used mine--with a grill grate on it. It gets the job done!
Maybe I didn't say it right. Now that I put the grate on it , it is more stable than before. I would have liked to have the bigger square frame but it comes with a smaller burner ( 10 PSI) and the square frame doesn't have the wind protector arround it. How is the smaller burner compared to the SP 10? And does the SP 10 make a lot of noise, I didn't use it yet.
__________________

Joe

"Life is too short to drink cheap beer."

joejaz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2008, 02:33 AM   #10
SwAMi75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SwAMi75's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Midwest City, OK
Posts: 2,492
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejaz
Maybe I didn't say it right. Now that I put the grate on it , it is more stable than before. I would have liked to have the bigger square frame but it comes with a smaller burner ( 10 PSI) and the square frame doesn't have the wind protector arround it. How is the smaller burner compared to the SP 10? And does the SP 10 make a lot of noise, I didn't use it yet.
The SP-10 is really loud--at least mine was. The square one is much quieter, uses less propane, and seemed to heat just as well to me. The lack of a wind guard is the biggest drawback, but I don't recall it ever causing me any problems.
__________________
May you go marching in three-measure time
Dressed up as asses, drunk to the nines
Swing from the rafters, shouting those songs
Gone unsung for far too long

SwAMi75 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bayou Classic: SP-10 or SQ-14? ChrisS68 Equipment/Sanitation 14 05-20-2011 01:18 AM
Bayou classic Desert_Sky Equipment/Sanitation 13 03-04-2007 01:16 AM
bayou classic 30 qt - not rdbeer Equipment/Sanitation 5 01-09-2007 10:36 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS