Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Bayou Classic 44 qt Turkey Fryer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2008, 02:12 AM   #1
raceskier
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bayou Classic 44 qt Turkey Fryer

OK, I think I'm buying this pot to upgrade:
http://www.cookware.com/Bayou-Classic-10-xx-BAY1032.html

Semi ghetto, but here's why I am choosing this particular pot. I'm going to build one of Jamil Z's whirlpool immersion chillers:
http://www.mrmalty.com/chiller.php

I'm building the chiller itself out of 50 feet of 1/2 inch OD copper tubing. I started running the numbers on fitting that amount of tubing coiled into various pot sizes. I'm doing 5 gallon batches (I know, never say never....) so I have between 5.5 and 6 gallons in the pot, post boil. Most of the "higher end" pots are low aspect ratio. That is short and wide, not tall and skinny. That leaves a relatively shallow liquid level in the pot. It is just about impossible to fit 50 feet of tubing under the surface of the liquid and keep off the wall of the pot with the short, wide pots. With the tall and skinny BC pot, I can squeeze the 50 feet of tubing under the surface of the wort and keep it off the pot wall. I want to cool the wort, not the pot.

Does this make sense, or am I over thinking or missing something?

Primary: , Boddington's Clone, Mirror Pond w/Marris Otter
Secondary:
Bottled: Fullers ESB Clone
Kegged: Mirror Pond Clone
Drinking: BM's Kona Fire Rock, Dead Guy Clone, Alaskan Amber Alt Clone, Firestone DBA Clone, Magnum/Crystal IPA
Next up: Burton IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2008, 12:06 PM   #2
bigben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

sounds awesome. Have you tribe submerging that coil in 5 gallons? I have a 50 IC and it doesn't get submerged in my keggle with 5 gallons. The chiller is 10" in diameter.

I'd be careful about making the diameter too large. I think you're better off with a few coils out of the beer and the chiller being more centered in the pot. Especially for when to move to 10 gallon batches

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply