Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Bayou Classic 122 qt as high gravity mash tun?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 06:10 AM   #1
TapeDeck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Bayou Classic 122 qt as high gravity mash tun?

I got one of these for way too little money, and wanted to use it for eventual BIAB experiments, but also as a mash tun for high gravity batches.

I got my last mash tun with a manifold off a friend who got out of brewing due to time issues... So I never had to address this specifically myself.

So... This is a HUGE pot. Is it too large to use a manifold in effectively? Does anyone make a false bottom that would work well with this pot? I figure it has to be one of the domed false bottoms... Any thoughts? I may try making a manifold tomorrow morning and doing a test brew with 30lbs of grain... I mean I know I'll make beer, but it certainly won't be a 12 inch deep grain bed...

Could use thoughts or suggestions.

Debated getting a bazooka mesh screen and running a pipe down from my weldless ball valve, but I've heard they aren't so good for efficiency. Would love any input!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply