New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Basement-Natural Gas Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #21
SuckaMooHudda
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I don't know much about HVAC but I do know that if you plumbed a cold air intake down to floor level behind the stand, you'd establish a decent local upflow that would affect the temperature of the rest of the basement a lot less than the window method.
My original design actually had a line to bring in fresh air to just under the burners but after a while I had to stop spending money. ;-) ....And figured I would just open the windows instead. I will probably have that line installed next year, maybe earlier if I have to, but hopefully that's not the case. I like the idea of having all the windows open & diluting the potentially bad air with fresh air . Given that I have 7 CO detectors in the house if there is a problem anywhere I should hear it, right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #22
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

It's really just required if you'd like to keep some of the heat in the room.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #23
SuckaMooHudda

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I hear ya, but that leads to my next/bigger concern, the hotter months. I have been trying to wrap my brain around what will possibly happen this summer. At first I would just assume that hot air will be sucked in and the basement will heat up. But then I remembered the setup I had my freshman year of college in my dorm that was not air conditioned. One box fan in one window pointing in and one in the other pointing out. I could not believe how cool the room became with using only 2 fans. But that was a tiny dorm room. I do have central air conditioning but still wonder how it will all work out with open windows. A fresh air return line as previously discussed??? Trial and error I suppose. Or I just simply avoid the 90+ degree days. The best part of switching to a 10 gallon setup is that I can afford to not brew on extreme days as I now will have 2X the amount of beer in the same amount time as a 5 gallon brew-day.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #24
BBL_Brewer

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 250

Well, with your set up, you could probably get away with brewing in the summer. You're actively pushing air with a fan. I can't, but my ventillation is passive, which is why I can only brew when there is a substantial differential between outside and inside temps. High winds might be your worst enemy. If the wind out competes your fan, then you might get a back draft. Other than that, I see no reason why your ventiallation wouldn't function during the summer. Like someone mentioned earlier, a quick smoke test will tell the story on that.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:30 AM   #25
SuckaMooHudda

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZer View Post
If you have to improve capture: Install side and rear flashing, all the way to the floor if need be. Lower the hood.

You may have to open only one window and close the rest. Cross currents are the achilles' heel of island style hoods, and can push all the CO2, CO, unburnt fuel, heat, and steam out from under the hood and into the room. However, cross currents can also work to your advantage by moving gas out of your basement window, or disadvantage by moving gas to your first floor. Commercially, all gasses must be captured by the hood. You could always perform a smoke test if you are worried about capture. Its pretty cool to visually see how well, or how poorly, a hood is exhausting. Just inform the neighbors first.
A smoke test sounds very cool. What would i use? That seems like it would put and end to at least part of the debate, sort of....

Old 02-28-2013, 04:06 AM   #26
TheZer
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Fire marshal uses some sort of smoke bomb. Attach a small firework grade smoke bomb to a stick and walk it around the perimeter of your cooking area. I would suggest using white smoke and declare yourself Pope of The Biertican, make the wife and kids kiss your ring, etc.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:42 AM   #27
SuckaMooHudda

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Hahahaha!!! Well, that's what we do every Sunday anyway.....so I guess I could switch things up with "white" smoke this time.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #28
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 101

I'd think you could also use a stick of incense or something similar. People do that to find drafts in their houses.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #29
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 176

You can take a lighter and see witch way the flame is sucking.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #30
cupido76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm not an "expert", but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I've brewed 5 or 6 all-grain batches in my basement with propane with just one small window open and a relatively small vent fan (and a CO monitor about 3 feet from the burner). My last two I also put a fan in the window to push more air out but my first 4 batches I didn't do that and had no problems.

It's probably more propane being burned, but I justified this procedure to myself thinking about people who use gas ovens for hours at a time with less ventilation and don't die, so I'm pretty sure I will be OK as well.

Quick Reply