Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Barley Crusher vs. JSP Maltmill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2007, 07:27 PM   #11
Jo3sh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser
I may have to write an e-mail to Jack Schidling and ask his opinion on this. I'm kinda bummed since I thought I did some research and didn't just buy the first mill I found.
I'd be interested in seeing the full text of any reply you get. JS was active in rec.crafts.brewing back when I started brewing, and let's just say he had his own inimitible style which drove me to buy a different mill.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 07:19 PM   #12
e lo

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Old thread, but having now recieved and used my BC, I'm now in a better position to comment on BC vs. MaltMill.

My conclusion is BC all the way! It feels like a better-built product, and gave an absolutely beautiful crush at the factory setting, with my old corded drill attached to the driven roller. My efficiency was only 72%, but that's the best I routinely see anyway, as I'm still optimizing other components. Given the choice, I'd buy the BC again in a heartbeat, and the customer service during the ordering was outstanding.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:37 AM   #13
ghohn
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by e lo View Post
I'd buy the BC again in a heartbeat, and the customer service during the ordering was outstanding.
Service through the purchase experience may be outstanding but I'm having a hell of a time getting an answer to my question about my BC via 3 emails sent over the last month. I've read that I'm not the only one either.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:50 AM   #14
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 15

i have a jsp, and love it. as far as it gripping the grain: i had the same problem. i tightened all the screws back up, and it was awesome again. tighten up everything before you contact them. i think you may save yourself some unnecessary heartache

Taps:
1: Pilsen Ale (Pilsner made with US05)
2: Roasted ESB (mistake by the LHBS in recipe)
3: Skeeter Pee
4: Hoegarden Saison
Fermenting: English Mild

Old 09-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #15
ghohn
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpher View Post
i think you may save yourself some unnecessary heartache
It's not an issue of user error. The input shaft is slightly bent. It wobbles and creates unnecessary vibration.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #16
MTBREWDOG
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I recently am in the position to purchase a new grain mill. I had been using the BC in my shop (I own a LHBS). I know just how much grain we put through our mill and it's tons (literally) and I'm in a small town! Needless to say, I only got about 1.5 years out of my BC before it went kaput. I emailed the BC people and got lousy answers and it took way too long for a reply. I'm done with them. Not to mention that my efficiency went way down hill over time. I started with getting 80+% on our shop system and towards the end I was lucky to get 70%. That said, I'm looking at other avenues.

I was thinking of going with a JSP Maltmill but after reading this, I'm thinking of just spending the extra coin and getting a MM3. I spoke with a commercial brewer who uses one of the MM3's who really really likes it. I think I can motorize one and get better results than any other mill out there. Granted I'll be spending an extra $200 on it! But at least this way I know I'll get a reliable crush for several years versus replacing it every year with inconsistent results. Also just for the record, a commercial mill sells for anywhere from $2500+ plus shipping!!

Anyhow for the average homebrewer, a BC is an excellent investment. For the brewer who brews 10 gallon batches every two weeks, it's probably not going to last very long.

Quick Reply