Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Barley Crusher issue...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Default Barley Crusher issue...

So, I have this Barley crusher that has crushed about 60 pounds of malt in its lifetime. Last night after milling my grain bill for my brew today, I noticed it didnt seem quiet as fine as it has in the past... not bad, but not the same.

So I check the gap... somehow it was opened up to about 1.038 from about 1.035. A large difference when using feeler gagues. So I start to attempt to adjust it and realize that there is a small pin on the NON adjustable roller that has wiggled out about 1/4" and therefore it is not aligning the roller well with the bushing.

I pop this sucker back in... but now I am having a problem that I have never had before. I insert the feeler gauge, adjust the roller and tighten the set screw to hold it in place... Only problem is, when I tighten the screw, it moves the roller! So, now my .035" gap isnt... it is about .032" and I can barely remove the damn feeler gauge.

Anyone else ever have a problem with this? Where when you tighten the set screw, it actually moves the rollers and throws your gap out of whack?

Looking for some insight here before I call them to see why my adjustable mill, isnt quite so adjustable anymore.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 610 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

You could try taking the set screws out to see if the ends are uneven and gouging the shaft to push it out of position. Using a file or belt sander to flatten out the contact area might fix the problem.

I am curious about the pin that wiggled out. Can't find anything like that on mine.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:47 AM   #3
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
You could try taking the set screws out to see if the ends are uneven and gouging the shaft to push it out of position. Using a file or belt sander to flatten out the contact area might fix the problem.

I am curious about the pin that wiggled out. Can't find anything like that on mine.
Yeah, I didnt realize it either... until last night when my NON adjustable roller was moving about .005" ! On the drive roller, on the end where you do not connect anyting... it LOOKS like it is a shaft that runs through the roller into that bushing. It isnt... the roller has a hole drilled in it, that shaft you see, is actually a pin that sits half in the roller and half in the bushing. It isnt a solid shaft through there at all. I know this now because mine actually fell out.

When I tighten my set screws now, it actually TURNS the adjustment knobs... I got pretty pissed off last night messing with this thing.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I read about this some where. I didn't buy the barley crusher because of this. I hope they have good customer service. A grain mill should last a life time w/o any problem. With no more grain than you have milled..........I would have been pissed as well. Sorry for your problem. Let us know what they have to say.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:20 PM   #5
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog House Brew View Post
I read about this some where. I didn't buy the barley crusher because of this. I hope they have good customer service. A grain mill should last a life time w/o any problem. With no more grain than you have milled..........I would have been pissed as well. Sorry for your problem. Let us know what they have to say.
Took apart the set screws, one did have a HUGE bur left from the thread hanging off, so I removed that. Now, it doenst "turn" the adjustment knob as much as it did before, but still... when I tighten my set screws, it clamps the rollers down so tight that I cannot even remove the damn feelers. So my .035" gap is about .032" or less now. Grr...

Old 09-01-2009, 12:21 PM   #6
mmb
FNG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3167 Times on 3072 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Drop BC Products a line and see what they say.

They've always been very good at solving issues with their products in a timely manner.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #7
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmb View Post
Drop BC Products a line and see what they say.

They've always been very good at solving issues with their products in a timely manner.
Consider it done... currently, I cannot adjust the mill. And the gap... is whatever it mill decides it is going to be after I tighten the screws. This is why NON adjustable mills have a following I presume.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #8
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 610 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

I had the same problem with the drive end. The shaft spun in the roller. I emailed them and they offered to replace it, but I fixed it myself by adding a set screw through the roller. I milled a flat on the shaft where the set screw hit it to be sure it wouldn't spin again. This is something that would also work on the non driving end, but I'd just try some Loctite first.

But if you don't want to mess with it, their customer service is great.

bc_repair.jpg  

Old 09-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #9
The Pol
Recipes 

Yah, currently I am lacking a machine shop to re-engineer the mill. If that pin hadnt have popped out of the drive roller bushing to begin with, I may have never had an issue. That provided enough slop to make something noticeable.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #10
mmb
FNG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3167 Times on 3072 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
... but I fixed it myself by adding a set screw through the roller. I milled a flat on the shaft where the set screw hit it to be sure it wouldn't spin again. ....
I want a metal shop in the garage too.

Off to browse craigslist and Harbor Freight.

Quick Reply