New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Barley Crusher - Customer Service????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #141
GNBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I would still love to see a video of a malfunctioning crusher.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #142
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 356

Use your imagination. Drive roller spinning. Passive roller not spinning. No grain being drawn through.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:22 AM   #143
insanim8er
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
Anyone ever try to warranty worn rollers? I asked about it and he said $50 per set to replace. Not exactly a lifetime warranty!
That's what he serviced... The rollers weren't pulling grain. They're brand new now. He also replaced the barring, the hopper screws and nuts, the lock screws and adjustment screws. the whole thing is new except for the hopper (that I didn't send) and the thick smaller side panels.

Quote:
Use your imagination. Drive roller spinning. Passive roller not spinning. No grain being drawn through.
Yup - that's exactly what happened to mine. Even getting the passive roller going with my fingers wouldn't spin it.

A video wouldn't be too exciting... The grain just sits there... If it only has a few kernels of grain, they just hop around.

Kegged:Sparky's nut brown (10gal) • Apple wine (5 gal) • Perry (5 gal) • Graff (5 gal) • Centennial Blonde (5 gal) • Saison (10 gal) Fermenting:SD-SLIMS lemon lime (6gal) and Grapefruit (6gal) wheat.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #144
GNBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
For those types of failures, it's obviously a problem with the roller binding on something, not an issue of bearings failing. A bit of preventative maintenance/cleaning would probably prevent that situation. Mine has had a buildup of graindust between the sides of the roller and the bearing plate causing binding. Scrape it off, re-lube with food-grade grease, and be back on your way. These mills are such simple machines, but they need routine cleaning and lubrication.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #145
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNBrews View Post
For those types of failures, it's obviously a problem with the roller binding on something, not an issue of bearings failing. A bit of preventative maintenance/cleaning would probably prevent that situation.
So, your implication is that I don't maintain or clean my mill. That would be wrong and an over simplification of the problem. Sure, proper care is required for any device, but if you read the many threads on this subject you’ll see there’s a pattern. This mill relies on bushing, not bearings. Over time the abrasiveness of the grain dust wears the bushings and side plates and allows more dust to accumulate more quickly. Disassembling the mill, cleaning and lubricating goes from being a once every few month job to something that has to be done after each use if you want to be sure it won’t fail the next time you want to brew. Not acceptable in my opinion.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:30 PM   #146
NervousDad
BFM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 178

I've cleaned my rollers and lubricated them also. it just binds up again after a few pounds of grain.. I've since ditched my BC for a monster mill ,which I wish I would have done from beginning.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:20 AM   #147
insanim8er
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
For those types of failures, it's obviously a problem with the roller binding on something, not an issue of bearings failing. A bit of preventative maintenance/cleaning would probably prevent that situation. Mine has had a buildup of graindust between the sides of the roller and the bearing plate causing binding. Scrape it off, re-lube with food-grade grease, and be back on your way. These mills are such simple machines, but they need routine cleaning and lubrication.
Sometimes it can be the cause, but mine wasn't that simple. The rollers just wore out. They would roll but wouldn't catch the grain. Even if I stayed the slave roller. It wouldn't grip enough to continue. He replaced the parts, so I'm back in business for a while.

Kegged:Sparky's nut brown (10gal) • Apple wine (5 gal) • Perry (5 gal) • Graff (5 gal) • Centennial Blonde (5 gal) • Saison (10 gal) Fermenting:SD-SLIMS lemon lime (6gal) and Grapefruit (6gal) wheat.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #148
bja
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 60 Posts

Quote:
For those types of failures, it's obviously a problem with the roller binding on something, not an issue of bearings failing. A bit of preventative maintenance/cleaning would probably prevent that situation.
Not necessarily. It is a simple piece of equipment. Maybe too simple.

The major design flaw is the two sheet metal pieces connecting the bushing plates together. They are in no way stiff enough and allow the bushing plates to become misaligned with each other. When the 1/4" fasteners holding the bushing plates to the base plate are tightened, the torque often times twists the bushing plates causing binding. Care must be taken to ensure that this doesn't happen.

That said, just last week I cleaned, oiled and reassembled mine taking extra care to make sure the rollers didn't bind. After about 2 lbs of grain it stopped working. The only way i was able to get it working again was to increase the gap between the 2 rollers. I went from .035 to .039 and that seemed to take care of it, at least for now. I'm assuming this was because the teeth on the rollers are becoming dull and it won't pull the grain into the gap. Opening the gap gave it a better angle of contact.

The wider gap may or may not adversely effect efficiency. I really didn't notice any significant change.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #149
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1464 Posts
Likes Given: 1136

The Barley Crusher has notches on the adjusters that set to the factory specs of .039". That's where I have mine set & efficiency is very good. i'm always on the numbers or higher,depending of course on mash temps,etc. I also use a kitchen brush with hog brstles to clean all the dusty grainy stuff out after each use. I'm even concidering a can of Dust Off to spray the stuff out of the tight spots.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:58 AM   #150
B-Dub
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I switched from the BC to the JSP with gear driven second roller after a year or 2 of use. I had the same problem others here have already stated. Having both rollers driven by the motor is the way to go!

BW

http://schmidling.com/maltmill.htm

Quick Reply