Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Ball valve vs. Gate valve for MLT, have question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
JRems
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Ball valve vs. Gate valve for MLT, have question

Hello I am in the process of building a Cheap MLT out of a 5 gallon Igloo cooler( got it for free) I was going to put a valve in it with a stainless braid for batch sparging. I am trying to build it without spending any money. My grandfather is a retired plumber and has boxes of new all brass gate valves and buckets of brass fittings, as well as hoses with the stainless braid on it. But does not have any ball valves. Any reason why all the setups I see here use ball valves?Is it just a cost factor since the ball valves are half the price of the gate valves? Can I use the gate valve? Also is 12" long enough for the stainless braid? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1020 Times on 680 Posts
Likes Given: 28

It's just a matter of a quick quarter turn to open it vs. a few full turns on a gate valve. Also, you want to make sure that gate doesn't rely on a rubber seal because it's likely it will leach some flavors at sparge temps. Yes, 12" is plenty for a braid.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-10-2011, 10:35 PM   #3
JRems
Recipes 

Thanks for the advise. I will open the valve and check the seal.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:41 PM   #4
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I use gate valves on my RIMS and prefer them over ball valves. IMO, globe valves (these have the rubber seal) are the ones to avoid.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:40 AM   #5
JRems
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply. I took the valve apart and there is a rubber seal but it will never contact the wort. With the gate closed water has no chance to get up there. Even when it's opened since there is no real pressure it won't ever reach the seal. I checked by filling with water and UV dye. Checked with the blacklight and no contact. So I Put it together and almost finished it. The only parts I did not have are 2 All stainless clamps for the SS braid. Thanks everyone for the Help!

Quick Reply