New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Ball valve for march pump, Necessary?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
wildwest450
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Ball valve for march pump, Necessary?

My setup recirculates the mash. As it is now the flow is only controlled by the valve on the mt, is this ok? I don't see the need to choke it twice, since you have to carefully control the flow out of the mt. Or is it better for the pump if you choke it(on the output side) more than the output flow of the mt?

Am I making sense, or do I need more sleep?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 162

This is my impression (disclaimer: I don't own a pump):

March pump cannot be run dry, so restricting the in-flow (i.e. at the MT) is BAD....its possible that you can restrict too much and cause the pump to seize.

You want to restrict the pump on the out-flow, because that way its harder for the pump to be run dry.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 51

The flow control valve should always be on the output side of the pump. Restricting the flow on the suction side would not harm the pump, but it could cause cavitation problems and possibly collapse the suction hose. The cavitation could also cause the pump to lose it's prime. You can still carefully control the flow out of the MT with the valve on the output side of the pump. That's exactly how I do it. Also, IMO, a gate valve works much better than a ball valve for this application as it allows more precise adjustment. You can expect that those who have big bucks invested in SS ball valves will most likely strongly disagree with this opinion.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

You'll be OK if the connection between the MLT and pump is rigid but if it's soft tubing, it will likely get crushed due to the pressure drop when you really tighten down on the flow.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 09-30-2010, 03:29 PM   #5
wildwest450
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
The flow control valve should always be on the output side of the pump. Restricting the flow on the suction side would not harm the pump, but it could cause cavitation problems and possibly collapse the suction hose.
But you still can't run the mt wide open, or stuck sparge city. In hot water testing, I had no problem with collapsed hoses, that was with silicone, and some braided poly.

I ran a slow recirc for an hour with no problem, just wondered if it would harm the pump?

Old 09-30-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
But you still can't run the mt wide open, or stuck sparge city. In hot water testing, I had no problem with collapsed hoses, that was with silicone, and some braided poly.

I ran a slow recirc for an hour with no problem, just wondered if it would harm the pump?
If you restrict the outflow of the pump you are still restricting the outflow of the MLT, just from ~2-3 feet further away.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:35 PM   #7
wildwest450
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
If you restrict the outflow of the pump you are still restricting the outflow of the MLT, just from ~2-3 feet further away.
Yes, but my question, and I know i'm doing a piss poor job explaining it it. Is it better to have a set flow from your mt, then choke that flow down a bit from the out side, thus insuring the pump cavity is always full. Is that necessary?

Like everything I do, am I over thinking this? I don't want to trash a pump if I can help it.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

A valve on the output of the pump is the only way to control the flow downstream. There will be times when you want to turn the pump flow off momentarily or reduce the flow. And for optimum peformance, the pump head should always be full, or as nearly full as practicable. I pump out of a grant vessel, but I use the outlet valve a lot during recirculation.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Yes, but my question, and I know i'm doing a piss poor job explaining it it. Is it better to have a set flow from your mt, then choke that flow down a bit from the out side, thus insuring the pump cavity is always full. Is that necessary?

Like everything I do, am I over thinking this? I don't want to trash a pump if I can help it.
Personally, I like keep the BV on the MLT WFO and meter the flow after the pump via ball valve. My thinking, and I could be wrong, is I want the maximum amount of liquid going to supply the pump to guard against losing prime.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #10
wildwest450
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh_Jass View Post
Personally, I like keep the BV on the MLT WFO and meter the flow after the pump via ball valve. My thinking, and I could be wrong, is I want the maximum amount of liquid going to supply the pump to guard against losing prime.
Good point. I guess if you choke it down on the outflow, you wouldn't get a stuck sparge with the mt valve wide open. I can't believe how stupid I am. I guess I shouldn't post with 3 hours sleep.

Quick Reply