Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Ball-lock tap stuck on keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2008, 03:23 AM   #1
Mosa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ball-lock tap stuck on keg

Hey guys, I'm pretty new here. I've got a bit of a problem where my liquid-out ball-lock tap is stuck on my keg. It won't even twist like the in tap does. I'm in a bit of a bind, has anyone run into this before?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2008, 03:28 AM   #2
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Yup. It's usually that you mixed up the liquid and gas ball locks. A little bit of muscle usually does it for me.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:31 AM   #3
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

If it's been sitting around for awhile, it could also have dried up beer making it stick If that's the case, spray some hot water on the connection

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-07-2008, 03:54 AM   #4
Brett0424
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yep it could be either. If it's just dried on you just need to wet it and yank on it. If it's on the wrong side, get an open wrench the same size as the post (7/8s on lots of kegs) and use that to pry it off. It will come right off this way.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:12 AM   #5
Mosa
Recipes 

yeah i had to unsrew it and then stick them both in hot water for a while before it'd come loose. crazy.

thanks for the help guys!

Old 04-28-2011, 05:05 AM   #6
pmeice86
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

The hot water trick worked for me, with the keg still put together. Just lifted the ring and poured hot water slowly in. Loosened it right up! Then I put it back on, and had to do it again...

Old 04-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #7
SixFoFalcon
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I bought some second-hand kegs that came with replacement o-ring kits, but the o-rings for the posts gave me issues. They seemed to fit on fine, but then I started having issues with the QDs not wanting to come off. This is despite lubing with lubri-film. Either the o-rings were too large from the start, or they swelled up enough to cause the binding. I'm betting the seller just used some parts bin o-rings that "seemed to fit" and not ones specifically designed for keg posts.

I swapped out the "free" o-rings with replacements from a reliable homebrew supply store, and I haven't had the issue since.

On tap:Witbier, American Stout, Imperial Stout, Root Beer

Bottled:"Massacreation" Chinook Barleywine, Belgian Golden Strong Ale, English IPA, Cabernet Sauvignon
Next: US IPA

Quick Reply