Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Ball Lock QD FFL Thread Size

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
cank
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Ball Lock QD FFL Thread Size

I have a set of the Ball Lock QDs that are threaded Flair posts.
I thought I read that the size of threads on the Gas in (grey) is 5/16" and the Black out (black) is 1/4".
I went to Lowes yesterday and couldn't find what I needed so I have to order on line and don't want to order the wrong parts.

What is the correct size for each?
Also, should I go with 5/16 barb for gas in with 5/16 line?
Lastly, soda-dispensers.com seems to have the lowest price, anybody use them before? If not, any other cheap places to get them without being killed on shipping?

I'm cold crashing my first brew and can't wait to get it in the keg!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1141 Times on 926 Posts

The flare threads on both gas and liquid sides are 1/4", it's the size of the swivel nut barb that may differ, depending on your hose preference. I use 1/4" swivels on both sides of my systems...

Cheers!

Old 12-31-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I get my swivel nuts (with the correct barb size for the hoses that will be clamped to them) from Keg Connection. You want stainless steel fittings here, not brass, or some other metal.

I use 5/16" barb for the 5/16" ID gas lines and 1/4" barb for the 3/16" beer (Bevlex) lines. You need to warm up the beer line ends in order to get them over the barbs. Once done, and clamped (Oetiker clamps only, worm clamps suck) it doesn't leak or go anywhere on you.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
cank
Recipes 

Ordered 1/4" for both. Gonna have to save up for the Oetiker clamps Why are they so high?

Thanks

Old 01-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cank View Post
Ordered 1/4" for both. Gonna have to save up for the Oetiker clamps Why are they so high?

Thanks
They're cheaper per unit than worm clamps are. They also grab a full 360 degrees around the hose, unlike worm clamps. 1/4" barb is NOT the correct size to use on 5/16" gas hose. It's not a tight enough fit and it will leak. If you have 5/16" ID gas lines, get the 5/16" barb swivel nuts.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
cank
Recipes 

No, you're right. I got 1/4 thread size but 1/4 barb for bev. out and 5/16 barb for gas in.

I have a 1/4 gas that I am using temporarily to quick carb at 30 psi. Do you think that will leak overnight?

Is that a special crimping tool for the Oetiker clamps that shows up on an Amazon search?

Old 01-02-2013, 10:24 PM   #7
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cank View Post
No, you're right. I got 1/4 thread size but 1/4 barb for bev. out and 5/16 barb for gas in.

I have a 1/4 gas that I am using temporarily to quick carb at 30 psi. Do you think that will leak overnight?

Is that a special crimping tool for the Oetiker clamps that shows up on an Amazon search?
1/4" gas line on a 5/16" barb will be ok, provided you use a clamp (especially at 30psi). Look at Keg Connection's page for the tool. Under $9 for it, and it does a fine job.

Fermenting
K1:

Quick Reply