Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > B3 Heavy Duty vs. Boilermaker

View Poll Results: B3 or Blingmann
Blichmann 15g 23 60.53%
MoreBeer 15g HLT setup 15 39.47%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #21
benko
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If I'm looking at ten gallon batches, with the occasional five gallon batch, I think the 20 gallon Blichmann would be the best. The B3 kettles go from 15 gallon (too small for a 10 gallon batch, which usually starts at 14 gallons preboil for me) right to a 26 gallon kettle. Do you think the 26 gallon is too big, especially if I'm doing five? I wish B3 made a 20 gallon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2008, 07:23 PM   #22
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 11

In another thread, started by member Kal, he contacted John Blichmann and it turns out that the thermometer will be above the wort for a 5g batch int he 20g BoilerMaker. You must be doing some very long boils to boil off 4g... you could look into some fermcap-S to solve your space issues.

26g will be a bit ridiculously over-sized for 5g batches.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:23 PM   #23
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4695 Times on 4350 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by benko View Post
If I'm looking at ten gallon batches, with the occasional five gallon batch, I think the 20 gallon Blichmann would be the best. The B3 kettles go from 15 gallon (too small for a 10 gallon batch, which usually starts at 14 gallons preboil for me) right to a 26 gallon kettle. Do you think the 26 gallon is too big, especially if I'm doing five? I wish B3 made a 20 gallon.
Seriously? 4 Gallons of evaporative boil off? Are you in the dessert or are you boiling for 2 hours?

Old 12-09-2008, 07:34 PM   #24
TommyBoy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

B3 kettles do not come with the ball valve. 1 piece vs. 3 piece can then be a personal choice.

I wish the diverter for the MT that B3 offers would bend 90 degrees at the end like Blingmann instead of 45 degrees. You can get more wort out of the kettle with a 90 degree bend that reaches closer to the bottom. Not too big of a deal though and actually B3 diverters are cool because if you do not like the length and bend angle of the copper tube you can replace them with your own with 3/8" copper tubing as the stainless fitting is a compression fitting and tubes swap right out in a snap. I would think twice about messing with purdy stainless dip tube on the Blingmann.

I like the dimensions of the B3. 15" height is nicer on a 3 tier setup which I have.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:38 PM   #25
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer View Post
The one question I have is the MoreBeer kettle is 18" in diameter or 254 sq/in of open boil surface area that would increase your boil off rate vs a 12" diameter of a keggle for 113 sq/in of open boil surface area.
I didn't locate the diameter of the Blichman kettle which looks smaller in diameter but taller for the same 15 gallon size. Just by that open boil surface area alone I would rather have a Blichmann over a MoreBeer unit. I'm thinking what extra volume you must start with to the whole brewing process to get the net volume you want in your corny kegs if your using them. After spillage and any other problems I still like to have both corny's filled to the max when done not 1 and 3/4 filled corny's. Shop around, out of state no sales tax, shipping price differences you may save some money for other brewing items like a March pump. Post what you purchase later. It's a different feeling when you have some extra money and can shop vs tight on the money and can only look and dream.
Cheers to you.
My 20 gallon Blingmann has an 18" diameter.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:05 PM   #26
TommyBoy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Another difference...

You can not hang your lid on the side handles of a B3 kettle. I believe you can do this on the Blingmann. Might seem like an insignificant feature to some, might not to others...

Old 12-09-2008, 08:06 PM   #27
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBoy44060 View Post
You can not hang your lid on the side handles of a B3 kettle. I believe you can do this on the Blingmann. Might seem like an insignificant feature to some, might not to others...
That comes in handy, but remember to use a gloved hand to grab it if it's hanging there and you have been boiling for 90 minutes.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 12-09-2008, 08:16 PM   #28
keelanfish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

My BE315 kettle came UPS yesterday and I'm so happy! I lucked out and ordered during the black friday sale and got 30% off the normal price. For $170, I got a very heavy duty stainless steel 15 gallon brew kettle, 2 welded threaded ports (welds are very nice looking), a stainless plug for the top port, a stainless threaded section (don't know what that's for yet), a one piece stainless ball valve, 1/2" & 3/8" stainless hose barbs (they added about $5 a piece but is included in the $170 price) and everything was shipped to my house free of charge.

I was saving my $$$ for a 15 gallon Blichmann, but for a savings of approximately $230, I'll gladly notch my brew spoon (instead of using the nice Blichmann sightglass) and take temperature readings using a digital thermometer probe. The top port where the Blichmann thermometers are located aren't even in the wort unless you have at least 6.5 gallons in the kettle, which to me seems pretty useless since I'm doing mostly 5 gallon batches.

So far I'm very happy with my decision, but I haven't actually tested it yet. The only dissapointment is that the box had "Made in China" written all over it. The Blichmann's are made in the USA...

Old 12-09-2008, 08:19 PM   #29
TommyBoy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
That comes in handy, but remember to use a gloved hand to grab it if it's hanging there and you have been boiling for 90 minutes.
Just reading this made my hand hurt.

Quick Reply