Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > B.I.T.O.A. wort chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2009, 08:17 PM   #1
fotodogboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default B.I.T.O.A. wort chiller

Anyone ever heard of or used a B.I.T.O.A. wort chiller (Brewing is the only answer wort chiller) made in Seattle, WA. I can buy one used and want to switch from a immersion wort chiller to a counter flow or plate. This one has a PVC tube that houses a copper coil. Has a thermometer to monitor the wort.Here is a page that describes it. Scroll down to the section on wort chillers. There is a diagram that shows the unit. Thanks in advance for any help.

BT - Brewers' Wish Lists

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
Jonnio

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds pretty cool if it works. It would be interesting to see if just a copper coil inside a 15"x4" tube really has the surface area to chill wort that quickly though since your approaching therminator specs and a plate chiller like that has a ton of surface area.

Seems like it would be easy enough to make one out of some copper tubing and drain piping, I actually wish I had saved some of my copper to put one a smaller one of these on the whirlpool immersion chiller I am making.

------------------------------------------------
Official member of HBAMAP (Home Brewers Against Murder and Pedophilia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedophilia...

Old 01-01-2009, 09:11 PM   #3
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If you can get it for a good price and it doesn't leak, I'd say go for it. 12-15 minutes is kinda slow for a counterflow chiller though....
I know I actually had to back off on my chiller today while brewing....the wort came out at 50F and I had to slow the water down. I'm in Chicago with cold tap water, though. With a CFC, you should only be limited by how fast you can drain your kettle. You can always use icewater if your ground water is warm. 6 gallons takes about 10 minutes through a 1/2" ball valve.

You might just look into a Shirron. Very affordable, compact, and chills instantaneously.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
fotodogboy
Recipes 

The guy wants $40.00 for it. Isn't the Shiron $200.00. Live in Seattle, cold water is not a problem. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:56 PM   #5
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Shirron is about $70 IIRC. It's a plate chiller though. Some people swear by them. The therminator is $200. I'd say buy it...you won't get anything cheaper than that. Especially if it has a thermometer. You could easily mount that in a rig if you decide to build one.....

Quick Reply