Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Automated HERMS system

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2009, 02:05 PM   #11
Boerderij_Kabouter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

For the weldless fittings I go :

Female threaded component (e.g., half coupling) - SS washer - keg wall - Silicone O-ring - Locknut - female threaded component (e.g., ball valve)

If you size the hole properly (close fitting) then this arrangement will give you leak free service and a completely solid connection. I have never had a leak that way and my fittings do not wiggle at all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2009, 02:40 PM   #12
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 402 Times on 327 Posts
Likes Given: 49

+1... same here.

the sniffer is wise in the ways of weldless fittings

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:53 PM   #13
blackheart
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

OK so I took about 5 minutes to redraw the initial step 1 with a different paint program just to give a rough idea of what I was thinking of.

A few changes. First there would be 3 configurations, prep, mashing/sparging/boiling, and cooling. Each of these would require some moving of hoses etc. Since I want to make everything the SS QD's this should all work out well. The initial configuration would look like the one above. The major difference is that we would move the sparge arm and connector from inside the keg wall to inside the lid or in the center front/back of the keg. This is so either the Kettle or the HLT can easily connect to it.

The coil would be disconnected from the MLT in and the output of pump 2 from the kettle would connect to the MLT in insead. The Kettle would be used to provide strike water and filled with water first to get things progressing faster. When the HLT has water filled and hits the target temp then the recirculation could begin as shown previously with one simple hose change.

I also changed the water filter configuration. Putting two valves on the filter would allow us to mount it down lower by the pumps and then run two separate connections to the IN ports on both the Kettle and HLT or use one valve and manually switch the hose.

So basically if I keep all the connections a standard 1/2" male QD on all the equipment then I can always connect any part to any other part with the same tubing.

Boerderij, so let me get this strait. Instead of sandwiching the keg on either side with an O ring and a SS washer, you have a SS washer inside with no O ring and a O ring on the outside with no SS washer, just a lock nut, and this works fine?

You dont need a O ring on the inside and outside? The lock nut does not need a washer and does not chew into the O ring?

Old 08-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #14
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

You thinking is correct.

Here is an example:

The key is to buy locknuts with a groove machined intot he back side. The groove holds the o-ring in place without smushing it.

The other key is how you install the locknut. When you tighten it, just snug the locknut as hard as you can by hand, then instead of turning the locknut to tighten it, turn the fitting on the inside like it is a nut you are threading into the locknut. This way the locknut and o-ring remain stationary and the nipple threads into the locknut thereby compressing hte o-ring and forming a seal. Then, the last step is to just give the locknut a small turn to really lock it in place. Maybe buy one or two extra o-rings as it may take a practice or two.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:00 PM   #15
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

I will work on uploading all my Sketchup stuff and get back to you. Give me a day or two.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #16
blackheart
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Ah! I get it now. Thats great. I thought I was using too many parts there. Thanks for linking the picture. I was looking through you blog posts, you have some good stuff in there. Thanks for the info. The sketchup models would be great whenever you get a chance.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:42 PM   #17
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

OK I just uploaded a bunch of stuff.

search "boerderij kabouter" in the 3D warehouse and my stuff will come up.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:14 PM   #18
Acidjazz54
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Blackheart, What flow meter are you planning on using? Also, what are you considering to use to control the system?

Old 08-18-2009, 04:45 PM   #19
SowegaBrews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Do you have a way to circulate boiling wort in your HLT's coil to sanitize it for the cooling phase?

Old 08-18-2009, 05:45 PM   #20
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 967 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You're going to use ice in the HLT right? If not, how are you going to cycle hot water out? You'd also want a stirrer to agitate the HLT water during HERMS operation and ice during the cooling phase.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply