Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Automated HERMS system

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
blackheart
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Default Automated HERMS system

We are attempting to construct a new brewing system now that our small home brewery is nearly complete. I started a new thread for this HERMS system but it is a continuation of this older thread when we were considering RIMS.

Anyway here is the outline of how the system will operate.

We are working on figuring out each and every part we will need to order. Here is an example of one of the parts assembly pictures we are working on. This would be the bottom valve on the HLT and Kettle from the image above. Everything is 1/2" MPT

Kind of guessing on build our own bulk heads there. Compression fitting inside let us connect to SS tubing to make a dip tube or to connect to a coil etc. The threaded pipe is a 1" piece of 1/2" MPT I assume it needs a washer and O-ring on either side with a nut on the outside and a compression fitting on the inside. Hopefully there is enough thredding left over to thread it onto the valve. This would be a 12v 1/2" SS electronic valve that can handle 200+F

We are looking for some feedback/suggestions/comments on this system so we can make any final revisions before placing orders. Thanks!

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 02:11 AM   #2
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 405 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 49

One thing you might want to think about is initially filling your MLT from your BK... which is how I do it.

... if not, you're going to have to refill your HLT to submerge your heat exchanger. (oops... I see you list that step)... it's still something to think about though. That's how I have my rig set up and I like the way it works.

Plus... if you build it so you fill from the BK, you can step mash a lot easier by using both infusions and raising the temp in your HLT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Last edited by Cape Brewing; 08-14-2009 at 02:22 AM. Reason: re-read the OP

Old 08-14-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
rcrabb22

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

In step 3 you refill the HLT with cold water and reheat. You won't be able circulate mash through the HERMs coil until the HLT water is heated to mash temperature otherwise you'll cool your mash. How long will that take and is your MLT insulated to help retain heat before the HERMs coil is up to mash temp?

Old 08-14-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
Orangevango
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Why not put water in your BK and hold It at temp to refill the HLT, or fill the MT from the kettle.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Liked 405 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 49

How "automated" are you thinking? As in "can brew without you being there" or "sit back in a chair and flip buttons"??

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I think that looks like a slick plan. Two points:

1. I would strongly consider a hop back.

2. Are you using QD's, hard plumbing, or a mix of both? It seems like you may be able to simplify the system if you hard plumb the outputs to the pumps. If you check my blog for a couple of the builds I have designed you will see how I use a combo of hard and soft plumbing to simplify the systems. You may not like it, but it is worth considering IMO.

I am soooooo jealous of the speed with which you are putting all this together. You are my hero!!!

Old 08-14-2009, 01:59 PM   #7
jcdillin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Looking good!

Current Rig
4.5KW E-HLT
5.5KW E-Kettle
MasterFlex Peristaltic Primary Pump
March Secondary Pump
Therminator for Chilling

Planned
Automated Grain Drop
Automated Hop Dropper

System controlled via BrewTroller

Old 08-14-2009, 06:08 PM   #8
harley03
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Well after looking at your flowchart which looks like you took some time to put together (great job) I would question steps 1, 2 and 3.

My thought would be the following:
Step 1: Fill both the HLT with water and the MLT with enough strike water and raise the heat in both at the same time.
Step 2: Then once your MLT is up to temp then add grains to the water.
Step 3: Once you mash in then start the herms system to keep the MLT at correct temp.

Then proceed to step 4 and beyond. This is just my 0.2cents but I am in the process of starting to build a HERMS system soon and found your post to be very informative. I also subscibed to this post to see the final out come. Keep us posted.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"Wow! What a Ride!""

Old 08-14-2009, 06:13 PM   #9
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If you want a RIMS you could always add a burner under the MLT....

Old 08-18-2009, 01:54 PM   #10
blackheart
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

OK let me see if I can answer everyones comments and suggestions in one post!

First of all, the idea of using both the kettle and HLT to create hot water to use for sparging etc is a great idea. I will re think the connections a little to see if I can get it to work automatically. It sounds like it will save a good deal of time and be much more efficient.

yes, I plan on insulating everything I can to maximize efficiency. So all 3 pots will be insulated, and hoses etc where I can without interfering with normal operation.

We plan on hard plumbing everything all the way out to male 1/2" SS QD's. They looked nice because they had no internal shutoff valve and looked easy to clean. Then we are using the Hi temp plastic 1/2" tube to make F/F "jumper" cables to connect everything together.

I picked up a 28$ water filter + housing on sale at Lowes that people have been using to make hop backs with. We are planning on using it as a water filter to get water in from a hose. We were thinking about hard plumbing it into the side but if we are putting filtered water in both the HLT and Kettle then something more like this would be better.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/wate...r-setup-29145/
and then we could move it from one to the other without hassle.

BTW Boerderij, where can I find your sketchup models? I liked your parts diagrams you made and we are making a similar one for this project. Does the layout look correct for weldless fittings with the Compression fitting - washer - O ring - keg - O ring - washer - Nut

Quick Reply