The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Auto Siphon

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 10:50 PM   #1
New2HomeBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Auto Siphon

I bought an Auto Siphon several brews ago, and have never had good luck in getting the thing to work properly. I bought the Siphon brand new, and the 3/8 hose that the packaging indicated. Every time I try to start the siphon it goes for a minute then just stops. I've tried putting a zip tie around the hose/cain connection, and this helped a bit but it still was stopping every few minutes. Then while in the middle of racking the other night, the little poppet that keeps the wort from flowing back out of the siphon just poped out when I opened it up to see what was wrong. I ended up having to ladel out the rest of the 10 gallon batch with a pint measuring cup. Not fun!

Anyone have any suggestions? I already tossed the broken one in the garbage. Has anyone had good luck with a certain brand? I really want to be as clean as possible and don't want to have to ladel or start a siphon with my mouth.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” Benjamin Franklin

Primary #1- Panty Dropping Cherry Apple Cider
Primary #2- empty
Primary #3- empty

Secondary #1- My First All Grain (American Amber)
Secondary #2- Honey Do Wheat

Up Next: ? my second AG

On Tap- Sadly Nothing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2007, 11:14 PM   #2
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

I have this one http://morebeer.com/view_product/6355/ , it works great. Unfortunately it's temporarily out of stock at Morebeer but I'll bet one of the other big online shops have them

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-15-2007, 11:32 PM   #3
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I think that for the 3/8'' Autosiphon you really should use 5/16'' hose. I switched to that and had no more problems.

Or:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=25774

Old 08-15-2007, 11:39 PM   #4
jcarson83

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

I've had one since my first batch. The only time I had problems was when I tried to buy some new tubing and it wasn't the right size. Probably the same problem as the 3/8 5/16" mentioned by Beerrific.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:13 AM   #5
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts

Beerrific is right. the instructions say 3/8" but my LHBS said that was just flat out wrong. I actually split some 3/8" trying to get it on there. the 5/16" works fine though, and is still tight enough that it doesn't leak at the top.

there is still a trick to most of them though. often air will get trapped right where the hose connects to the cane. if you just pinch it a little when that happens, you'll burp the bubble through.

we usually get all paranoid about that air bubble causing oxidation. even if it doesn't, you get a better siphon by pinching it off.

they make a mini-siphon too for 1gallon jugs, and its cane looks smaller...I think it would take 3/8" tubing. Maybe.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 08-16-2007, 12:21 AM   #6
Beerrific

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
Beerrific is right. the instructions say 3/8" but my LHBS said that was just flat out wrong. I actually split some 3/8" trying to get it on there. the 5/16" works fine though, and is still tight enough that it doesn't leak at the top.
Interesting, mine definitely said 5/16'' I know becuase I was I told SWMBO "Ah, 3/8'' will work." After sucking a bunch of air into my beer and getting pissed, she rolled her eyes at me and I got some 5/16''. Is yours Fermtech? Maybe they updated the instructions.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:21 AM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

It's a 3/8" OD cane, but you really need the smaller 5/16 ID tubing to get an airtight fit. I know it's been said, but sometimes you need to hear it a few times before you stop beating your head against the wall.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 08-16-2007, 01:27 AM   #8
Beerrific

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
It's a 3/8" OD cane, but you really need the smaller 5/16 ID tubing to get an airtight fit. I know it's been said, but sometimes you need to hear it a few times before you stop beating your head against the wall.
It might not fit at first but if you put the tubbing in boiling water it will soften enough...I have yet to get mine off

Old 08-16-2007, 10:52 AM   #9
Jekster
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I use an autosiphon with 3/8 and don't have any problems at all. Just a pump or two, stick the hose under the wort / beer level and let it fly!

In the Works:

Old 08-16-2007, 02:10 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Jekster,
I'd look real close at that joint while you're running the siphon. You may find that air is getting sucked in. It's not enough to stop the siphon all the time, but you're risking oxidation. There's a chance based on allowable tolerances that your cane is a little larger and your tubing is a little smaller, but most of us have had major problems with that combination.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply