Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > austin homebrew supply brewpot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2008, 04:42 AM   #1
jmmarvel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default austin homebrew supply brewpot

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...oducts_id=2319

anyone buy one of these or know someone who has? im a big cheapass, but this is almost seeming too good to be true. any feedback would be good feedback.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2008, 04:52 AM   #2
EricCSU
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmarvel View Post
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...oducts_id=2319

anyone buy one of these or know someone who has? im a big cheapass, but this is almost seeming too good to be true. any feedback would be good feedback.
This is the one I have. It is a big, stainless steel pot. No frills. I've used it in four batches now and have not had a problem. I would recommend Barkeeper's Friend Cleaning Products for cleaning it as well as anything stainless steel.

Eric

Kegged: Belgian Dark Strong (8.9%abv)

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

Old 07-09-2008, 04:59 AM   #3
jmmarvel
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply, i cant imagine anythign being wrong with any kind of stainless steel pot. but it doesn't hurt to ask. i think i'll buy it.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:31 AM   #4
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

not bad for the price but sometimes you can get a 32 to 40 qt alum or even ss pot and a turkey fryer for $40 to $60 dollars. check sam's and costco around thanksgiving

Old 07-09-2008, 01:18 PM   #5
-Dan-
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Why don't you just go to a local restaurant supply store? Just a thought...

Kulturgüter Hopfen und Malz, Gott erhalt's!

Old 07-09-2008, 03:06 PM   #6
billtzk
Recipes 

Restaurant supply stores don't have great prices for those kinds of things. The restaurant supply stores around here sell mostly aluminum pots in sizes larger than 32qts, and they are more expensive than that basic stainless pot at Austin Homebrew. And lids are always sold separately. The AceMart near me has Volrath SS pots that are 53 qts, but they are a couple hundred dollars (not including a lid). You'll almost always be better off buying from a homebrew supply store or buying a turkey fryer with a 40 qt SS pot.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:20 PM   #7
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtzk View Post
Restaurant supply stores don't have great prices for those kinds of things. The restaurant supply stores around here sell mostly aluminum pots in sizes larger than 32qts, and they are more expensive than that basic stainless pot at Austin Homebrew. And lids are always sold separately. The AceMart near me has Volrath SS pots that are 53 qts, but they are a couple hundred dollars (not including a lid). You'll almost always be better off buying from a homebrew supply store or buying a turkey fryer with a 40 qt SS pot.
Not true.

I have this 60qt pot. Got it for $70 shipped from Instawares' ebay store.

Here's a comparable 8 gallon kettle from Instawares.

If I were the OP, I'd get a bigger pot and make it aluminum....that way you won't have to drop a few hundred bucks. Big stainless kettles are crazy expensive and aluminum does the job.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-09-2008, 03:25 PM   #8
billtzk
Recipes 

I stand corrected. I went to a brick-and-mortar restaurant supply store near me and their prices were not nearly that good. I would recommend getting the lid as well.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:37 PM   #9
jmmarvel
Recipes 

Thanks for all the posts. I have checked a lot of places (incl local cooking supply shops) and only found expensive pots. I know that aluminum is fine, but i think that i am going to stick with stainless steel, especially since i found this one so cheap. thanks to all.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:43 PM   #10
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts

It's your $$, but don't come back here crying when you decide you want to do an all-grain batch over 1.075 OG without having to dial your efficiency down to 45% because you can't fit hardly any sparge runoff in your little 8 gallon pot. I speak from experience here: one of the best things I ever did was get that 60 qt pot, and I only do 5 gallon batches! Once you hit hot break and have alleviated the boilover risk, you can walk away and pay no attention to it until your late hop additions. It leaves you plenty of time to clean up, get stuff put away, etc. I found it much harder to do this with my 8 gallon kettle...that is, unless you want to spend more on a big batch because of your dialed-down efficiency.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Quick Reply