Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > ATTN: Yuri -Carboy Purging-

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
Desert_Sky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default ATTN: Yuri -Carboy Purging-

Hey since you are the man when it comes to gadgets, I have a question for you.

I was thinking about oxidation and such when transferring between carboys. Would it be hard to come up with some sort of CO2 gun? SOmething that allows you to use your gas in line from a corny fitting, but has a long tube to shoot CO2 into the bottom of the carboy. I was trying to come up with a easy way to do this. Im thinking something along the lines of a beer gun, but for CO2 only and then a racking cane end to reach the bottom of a 6.5. I would feel alot better about racking if I could have the carboy purged with CO2 before hand.

Clear as mud?

Or is something like this allready available?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2006, 07:21 PM   #2
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

I do this now with Better-Bottles. I use the CO2 produced during primary fermentation to purge the air out of the secondary.

John

Purged Closed-Loop Racking (Fermentation CO2)

Old 10-18-2006, 07:24 PM   #3
Mike-H

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22
I do this now with Better-Bottles. I use the CO2 produced during primary fermentation to purge the air out of the secondary.

John

Purged Closed-Loop Racking (Fermentation CO2)
Pretty sweet! Too bad those better bottles are so expensive

Old 10-18-2006, 07:33 PM   #4
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

*Shrug* Since I have my air hoses hooked up with quick releases, I jsut slap in a 3 foot hose when I want to purge something (usually only bother when I plan to let it sit in a specific container for a longer than normal)

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:17 AM   #5
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 58

It'd be easy! You could do as the post above suggests, or you could use one of those carboy caps that have two ports. Attach your racking tube to one port, and put pressure from the CO2 cylinder (LOW pressure, like 3 psi at the most) on the other port. Voila! Just like serving beer from a corny keg, but lower pressure.

Here's an article that describes exactly this setup for a "closed brewing system" where the wort is never exposed to air after the boil. Seems like a big pain in the ass as the article describes, but doing a simple CO2 pressure transfer from a carboy would be easy. This diagram says it all:

EDIT: After re-reading your post, it seems all you want to do is purge a carboy with CO2. Even easier. Either tee your CO2 line or use a quick disconnect to remove the ball lock fitting from the line and leave the end open. Put that end into the carboy and open the regulator valve. A valve setting of 8-12 psi would purge a carboy in well under a minute.

Oh, and many thanks for the "you're good with gadgets" praise...just go easy...don't want me getting all egotistical and stuff...

Old 10-19-2006, 05:52 AM   #6
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Another brainstorm - fill your carboy with sanitizer. Attach the CO2 lines as mentioned above. Pump out the sanitizer. Your carboy is now sanitized, purged, and ready for wort/beer/whatever else you want to store in a clean O2 free environment.

...which I think is what that little diagram is trying to show in the first place...

Old 10-19-2006, 06:31 AM   #7
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

cheep and ez way to fill a carboy with CO2 is to use a paintball gun CO2 tank.

a 12oz bottle with on off valve is about 20 bucks and ya only need about a 2 second blast, 12oz wil last ya a good long time

Old 10-19-2006, 06:15 PM   #8
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

My goodness, I guess I'm totally screwed up. I have sooo much stuff to worry about, I plumb forgot to even worry about purging my carboys!

Lesseee now, I want oxygen in my wort, so no need to pruge my primary. Then, when I transfer to a secondary, the beer has about 0ne volume of CO2 in it, to come out and sit in a layer on the beer, protecting it from oxygen, and displacing the light oxygenating air out the top.

I guess that unless you want to put one quart of beer into a five gallon vessel, I just don't see any need to purge. Now I'll go worry about starters, sanitation, mash temps, bottle cleaning, dropping my hydrometer, bugs in my malt, propane levels, running low on caps, is that mold on my beer, fermentation temps, yeast propagation, carb levels....

I'll put my purge worries in a sack with worries that a pound of cane sugar will turn my beer into cider, that fermenting at 72 degrees instead of 70 will ruin my beer, that not rinsing the chlorine off will give me bandaids, that dry yeast will make a substandard product, that I ought to sanitise my bottle caps, milling efficiency, mash-out timing, sparge speed....

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Old 10-19-2006, 06:25 PM   #9
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by casebrew
My goodness, I guess I'm totally screwed up...
Nice!

Sarcasm aside, I think a lot of homebrewing has to do with how you feel about what's going on. It's a lot easier to RDW and HAHB when you've mentally assured yourself that your results are going to be good. So, although, pH, efficiency, hydrometers, weight/volume measurements, sanitation techniques, yeast starters, yeast washing, racking off of the yeast/trub cake, priming media, etc, etc, etc, each have their individual value, it's often a matter of what it takes to make you feel good about what you're doing. Some brewers never measure a thing, sanitize like a gas station bathroom, and somehow have good results. Others can't seem to get a good batch of brew regardless of how meticulous they are. I guess the point of this rant is this: you can take your brewing as far into the anal retentive realm of academia and science as you like, but if what you're doing works for you, don't bother changing it. On the other hand, if you're convinced that a particular change (like purging your carboys) will make a difference, then go for it!

Old 10-19-2006, 09:32 PM   #10
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 274 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornkob
*Shrug* Since I have my air hoses hooked up with quick releases, I jsut slap in a 3 foot hose when I want to purge something (usually only bother when I plan to let it sit in a specific container for a longer than normal)
What kind of quick release are you using with your gas hoses? Pics? Where to purchase?

I could use that with my big 20# cylinder now. Thanks.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Quick Reply