Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Asco Red Hat Valves

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2008, 07:51 PM   #21
mrbowenz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtzk
Great link, thank you mrbowenz. These look like great alternatives and prices are excellent.

I am now very cautious and I will make sure that I understand what I need before I buy again.

Is your system natural gas or propane, and what is your regulated input pressure?
LP gas on mine , dial regulator-0 to 20 pounds- jet burners

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2008, 11:56 PM   #22
kladue
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts

If you want to go with direct spark ignition then this model of ignition module would work well with the honeywell valve http://cgi.ebay.com/Honeywell-Direct...QQcmdZViewItem, coupled with this pilot burner http://cgi.ebay.com/Q345-A-1321-Hone...QQcmdZViewItem. If you are patient you can aquire these items on Ebay and use a 24VAC transformer with the Love controls to fire the burners on demand instead of needing a standing pilot, follow the schematic on the ignition module for wiring of components.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:33 AM   #23
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thanks again kladue. I think I don't need an ignition module with pre-purge though, as the burners are in the open and there are no fumes that need to be cleared. The pre-purge would just add a needless delay for a brew stand burner if I understand it correctly. Aside from higher cost, wouldn't this type be better in this application? S87D-1004

I think I see why some people opt for the simpler solenoid or diaphragm valves and standing pilots. To put together a nice safe gas control system with direct spark ignition control and dual outlet direct ignition gas valve is expensive, bulky, and complex. And you can multiply the bulk and expense times the number of burners you need to control.

There are a bewildering array of different gas valves, ignition modules, flame rods, and so on. Maybe not so complex to an HVAC tech, but that's not most of us. Maybe not so expensive if you watch ebay and wait for the good deals to show up. But there's no getting around the bulk aspect, and the devices don't seem to be NEMA 4 rated. I suspect they are intended for use in protected areas like attached to your furnace in your attic or basement.

It seems to be the way to go though for really safe automated operation.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:59 PM   #24
kladue
Recipes 

The S87D-1004 is the module that is on my new system which is set up for 10 psi propane to mass flow controllers that control flow of propane to burner. Power is sent to module then module is wired to parker solenoid valve and pilot spark and flame sensing elements. would have been easier if one used combined ignition/flame sense setup as could eliminate pilot light and direct light fixed flow burner.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:22 AM   #25
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Very interesting thread guys, and frankly a bit over my head in this department. I am building a Brutus-10 type system and have been considering alternatives to the standing pilot. Has anyone successfully installed a spark ignition system with controls? Is there a somewhat elegant way of doing this without going on a scavenger hunt? I am going the stainless route on the frame, so I want to make the installation as Sano as possible.

Thanks
KD

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Twitter: LarryKonis

Old 01-15-2008, 04:51 AM   #26
kladue
Recipes 

The simple route would be ignition module, 24VAC solenoid valve, ignition probe from a BBQ that is ceramic insulated. Switch 24 VAC power to module, which is wired to solenoid valve, spark lead to ignition probe which is bent to make both spark and have 1/2" minimum flame coverage. Ignition module could be mounted 4'-6' away from burner if you need the space, just get wire core ignition cable from autoparts store.
Should have pictures of completed phase 2 system kettle burner&pilot and boiler burner&pilot assemblies this weekend for reference

Old 01-16-2008, 11:44 AM   #27
biggenius29
Recipes 

Instead of a ASCO valve would I be able to use a gas valve out of a old stove, furnace or dryer? If someone is wanting to go on the cheap that would seem like a good way to go.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:23 PM   #28
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladue
The simple route would be ignition module, 24VAC solenoid valve, ignition probe from a BBQ that is ceramic insulated. Switch 24 VAC power to module, which is wired to solenoid valve, spark lead to ignition probe which is bent to make both spark and have 1/2" minimum flame coverage. Ignition module could be mounted 4'-6' away from burner if you need the space, just get wire core ignition cable from autoparts store.
Should have pictures of completed phase 2 system kettle burner&pilot and boiler burner&pilot assemblies this weekend for reference
Hmm. I'll wait to see the pictures, but this sounds a little complicated. I'll have the pilot plans on standby. Thanks!

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Twitter: LarryKonis

Old 01-16-2008, 06:30 PM   #29
kladue
Recipes 

Salvaged gas valves from appliences will be too small for most of the NG burners out there, and will not work with high pressure propane systems. Research the ASCO and Parker solenoid valves to get part numbers needed and cruise Ebay for low priced valves with correct size and coil voltages.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:56 PM   #30
kladue
Recipes 

Here are a few pictures of burners with the pilot assemblies installed and burning http://picasaweb.google.com/kevin.ladue/PilotLights

Quick Reply