Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Asco Red Hat Valves

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2008, 11:45 PM   #91
korndog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorBrew
What exactly did you end up going with? I was leaning that way also, but was having trouble figuring out exactly what I need. I will be using propane.
Honeywell dual combination valve. It's going to be a vr820 I think with LP conversion kit. Honeywell ignition module. Combination sensor pilot burner. It's really not complicated, and Kladue has all the information in this thread. You will need a 24v power source in your enclosure. I am planning on using B3 low pressure regulator. All that said, I am going to be relying on someone who has done this before. Wiring for the system in also in this thread.

KD

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Twitter: LarryKonis

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2008, 12:44 PM   #92
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladue
Looks like the pilot is in a good spot, the flame can be adjusted on the valve to provide large enough flame to reliably light burner jet. You might try using a pipe plug in both sides of pilot opening of burner and drill through square head of plug and use long #8 bolt to attach a small piece of flat bar to mount pilot on. Clamp pilot for testing phase, the final test will be when keggle is on stand and burner is fired, you might have to make some minor adjustments to location to deal with drafts from operating burners, then bolt pilot in final position. Looking forward to seeing the final assembly pictures of your system, finally some one has done the right thing and used pilot safety valves for automated burners.
Hey Kladue. Took your advice on this one. Here is what it looks like. I don't have the actual burner/sensor I will be using yet. I suppose there will be some fiddling with height and such. Any thoughts?

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Old 03-28-2008, 04:59 PM   #93
kladue
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts

Looks like pilot might be a bit too close, here are a couple of things to consider for placement of pilot burner. The flame extends about 1/2-3/4 inch from tip and upwards about same amount. With draft caused by burner operation you will probably need to turn flame up to about 3/4"+ to compensate for updraft to keep enough heat on thermocouple. Here is a suggestion, mount pilot tip about 1/2 below bottom of nozzle tip and about 1/2" away from side of nozzle tip so flame will burn near centerline of burner nozzle outlet before ignition.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:42 AM   #94
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladue
Looks like pilot might be a bit too close, here are a couple of things to consider for placement of pilot burner. The flame extends about 1/2-3/4 inch from tip and upwards about same amount. With draft caused by burner operation you will probably need to turn flame up to about 3/4"+ to compensate for updraft to keep enough heat on thermocouple. Here is a suggestion, mount pilot tip about 1/2 below bottom of nozzle tip and about 1/2" away from side of nozzle tip so flame will burn near centerline of burner nozzle outlet before ignition.
Ok, great information as usual. I'll work on it. thanks.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:14 PM   #95
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Necro post here-

So, Korndog,

You got a parts list and photos of what you finally went with? I think I saw in another thread somewhere... this would be a good place to post a link to any photos..

TD

Old 12-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #96
davidfricks
Recipes 

I just bought this valve for my Brutus: ASCO 8030G017, and then i saw this one: ASCO 8030G069. Anyone know the difference? Any comments?

What seat material works with propane?

Old 12-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #97
davidfricks
Recipes 

I found a nice general purpose valve comparison sheet, but the 8030G069 isn't on it. Maybe it's an old valve that's no longer made. I'm going to call ASCO.

http://www.valve-store.com/pdf/8030.pdf

Quick Reply