Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Apartment chilling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
dexterthedog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Apartment chilling

Hey guys, I’ve been looking for a solution to my chilling issues for a while now. I live in an apartment with one of those stupid pullout faucets that I can’t get a hose adapter for. Because I am renting, there is no chance of a new faucet (unless it “breaks”) or changing the plumbing. This seems like a good way to shave an hour off of my chilling times (it is a little over an hour now with an ice bath). I was also thinking I might be able to use less then the 12lbs that is specified because my tap water is not 80 degrees and I am doing 2 -3 gallon extract boils, not a full 5 gallon boil. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
hedbutter
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I know some on here use a bucket filled with Ice Water and a pond pump to cycle through immersion chillers. You could do something similar (even fill the sink with ice water and place the pump in there). I also dont have first hand experience with this, so i cannot vouch for it.

It's not about finding the best beer, but finding the best in every beer.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

^this. A simple pond/aquarium water pump should be able to push enough water through a hose line run to an immersion chiller. Then, run the opposite end back into the ice bucket and let it recirculate.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia View Post
^this. A simple pond/aquarium water pump should be able to push enough water through a hose line run to an immersion chiller. Then, run the opposite end back into the ice bucket and let it recirculate.
I would say don't run the other end back into the bucket, unless you want to use much more ice than necessary. The water coming out of the chiller will be probably around 150F, which is the idea (you want it to be hot!). Instead, run that down the drain and run your tap water into the bucket at roughly the same rate that the pump is pulling it out. It will use a little more water, but will cool it MUCH faster and with much less ice than recirculating your hot water back into your ice bath.
For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;

Old 01-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 492 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedbutter View Post
I know some on here use a bucket filled with Ice Water and a pond pump to cycle through immersion chillers. You could do something similar (even fill the sink with ice water and place the pump in there). I also dont have first hand experience with this, so i cannot vouch for it.
Depending on the temp of tap water, I use rain barrel water to get the initial temp down then ice the water at the end ie. I get mine down to the 80*'s then recirculate ice water to get to the 60*'s

Old 01-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterthedog View Post
Hey guys, I’ve been looking for a solution to my chilling issues for a while now. I live in an apartment with one of those stupid pullout faucets that I can’t get a hose adapter for. Because I am renting, there is no chance of a new faucet (unless it “breaks”) or changing the plumbing. This seems like a good way to shave an hour off of my chilling times (it is a little over an hour now with an ice bath). I was also thinking I might be able to use less then the 12lbs that is specified because my tap water is not 80 degrees and I am doing 2 -3 gallon extract boils, not a full 5 gallon boil. Any thoughts?
that kit is not worth $120, and having to buy ice each time? lame. you would be better off filling the sink with ice (if you are going to be buying ice) and chilling in the sink. if you have an outside tap you could run a hose out there on the down low for a quick chill with an immersion chiller. if you do buy a chiller i would recommend the compression fittings over those hose clamps.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #7
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Check the faucet in the bathroom(s)... Chances are you can install a hose adapter onto the one in the sink there and use it to feed a chiller.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Quick Reply