Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Anything Unsafe in Stainless Nipples?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 05:31 AM   #11
StainlessBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 136

From what I know it doesn't matter if it's 304/304L or 316/316L that makes stainless sanitary. The finish of the material is usually what defines it as sanitary being in the mid 300 grit range and up. The higher the finish the less pits it will have and becomes more mirror like and to a pharmaceutical spec. 316 can handle a more corrosive environment/media and is favorable for these conditions but not needed for making beer let alone "potable water". One thing I would check into is why they make you sign or select that waiver. If this pipe was used with a nasty chemical running through it you would only want to use it for structural purposes or waste water...in other words...BE CAREFUL! What usually causes rust on stainless is something else contaminating it like a steel brush, band, bad weld or seriously corrosive stuff like sulfuric acid but just usually makes the stainless disappear all together. Just my 2 cents.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 05:37 AM   #12
StainlessBrewing
Recipes 

Just checked out the site. Crazy! I wonder why just those states don't allow it. Gonna check it out tomorrow. I wonder how many breweries in California are using 304 stainless.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:05 AM   #13
thargrav
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It's California, need I say more?

Old 08-07-2012, 06:47 AM   #14
NewDecadeBrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

It may be because the nipples are advertised as "welded". Maybe it's something in the welding process.

Another thought is that there is some certification - I think it is called ANSI, and maybe these products haven't been certified although they are perfectly safe 304 and 316 stainless, so therefore they aren't legal for use in potable water applications. So it would be kind of like a technicality that they wouldn't be legally "approved" or whatever for potable water but still perfectly safe.

I know I was a little taken back when they wanted me to "testify" that I wouldn't use the nipple in potable water applications. Being no expert in stainless steel I thought I would post it here on HBTalk and get some feedback on whether or not there are any safety issues with stainless or perhaps welded stainless.

Perhaps all the 304 stainless in use by breweries in Ca has been specifically certified or something for use by the ANSI or whomever. If this is the case then what implications does it have for stainless products designed to be used in home brewing applications? Perhaps there are different laws involved for home brewing vs commercial brewing applications. I just hadn't heard of any of his stuff until a couple days ago and I definitely have more questions than answers. The bottom line for me is whether there is actually a safety issue whether it has been certified or tested or not. I believe stainless is safe and this is the first time I have ever heard anything about stainless not being legal or approved for potable water. Like I said I am no expert though.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #15
StainlessBrewing
Recipes 

The welded doesn't have anything to do with it. In fact I'm pretty sure all of the major Mills (in the US) that provide Sanitary tubing are all laser welded. They polish the inside to make it seamless though making it an A270 spec. but technicall it's still rolled and welded. Some provide seamless tubing but it's usually electroploshed for seriously clean and sensitive applications like semiconductor plants and such.

I think I found it.
http://www.nsf.org/business/water_di...istributionSys

I think it's basically that site and those "304" nipples in general? A lot of pipe, tubing and nipples will be dual cert 304/304L. The L stands for low carbon. 304 carbon MAX is right around .08 while 304L is .03. 316 and 316L is the same exact amount of carbon but a higher Nickel %. From the pictures it does look like they are stamped but I can't tell if it's dual grade. Either way you're good and don't be scared. Here in Phoenix there are TONS of food processing plants that use 304/304L. Possibly your bottled water you're drinking or eating, gatorade, pepsi, coke, potato chips, subway dough, bakeries, hot sauce and so many more.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:38 AM   #16
Junkster
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thargrav View Post
It's California, need I say more?
Cheerleaders have been known to cause cancer in California!

Quick Reply