Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Anyone using Jaybirds Hopblockers?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
ricksox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Anyone using Jaybirds Hopblockers?

Last week my brew partner and I ran into some serious clog issues in our plate chiller due to trub and hop gunk from the boil kettle. I've already ordered and installed a custom false bottom from Norcal Brewing Solutions and it's awesome so I was debating picking up one of their hop blocker mini screens (the 5" one) for my keggle. Just curious to hear if anyone has any opinions on this? Do they work pretty well? Do they keep most of the trub and gunk out of your chiller?

Here's what I am talking about:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
ricksox
Recipes 

So apparently not? Haha.

OK, does anyone have any experience with hop baskets (spiders?) vs. bottom of the keggle type filters like the one I posted above?

Old 01-04-2013, 02:10 AM   #3
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 83

i think that screen is intended to go under a jaybird false bottom in a mash tun, i made one just like it for my mash tun out of scrap perforated stainless.

edit: i just looked on their website and that is a hopblocker, they have a similar design for the mash tun.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:16 AM   #4
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 83

it would probably work well with leaf but not as well with pellets.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:19 AM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Pretty sure they're made for whole hops, not pellet hops.

I'm using a hop spider of my own design currently, in my keggle. Everything in it's construction is stainless except for large nylon bag that the hops go into (a large grain bag often used in BIAB). Has no problems holding ~8oz of pellet hops in there and would be able to hold more if I wanted (probably with a larger batch size).

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-04-2013, 04:59 AM   #6
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksox View Post
Last week my brew partner and I ran into some serious clog issues in our plate chiller due to trub and hop gunk from the boil kettle. I've already ordered and installed a custom false bottom from Norcal Brewing Solutions and it's awesome so I was debating picking up one of their hop blocker mini screens (the 5" one) for my keggle. Just curious to hear if anyone has any opinions on this? Do they work pretty well? Do they keep most of the trub and gunk out of your chiller?

Here's what I am talking about:

If you are looking for a solution for trub and pellet hops getting into and clogging your plate chiller the only real "total" solutions we have is the 15" reversed hinge and a level 3 filter/stand. The 5" mini was designed for a total different use. I have had several people ask if they can use the level 3 alone without a 15" and my answer is this. We have done a test with it, with both pellet hops and whole hops alone without the 15" on top of it. It will filter a very small amount without getting clogged. It just does not have the surface area needed to be very useful alone. The 15" hinged false bottom stops about 70% of the pellet mush and trub, the level 3 will stop the other 30% of the debris, and I must say is VERY effective if used in the system.

Hope that helps
Cheers
Jay

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too
Smoke Cigars? www.stogietoys.com

Old 01-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
ricksox
Recipes 

Thank you all for the very informative and helpful replies!

Rick

Old 01-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
ricksox
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
If you are looking for a solution for trub and pellet hops getting into and clogging your plate chiller the only real "total" solutions we have is the 15" reversed hinge and a level 3 filter/stand. The 5" mini was designed for a total different use. I have had several people ask if they can use the level 3 alone without a 15" and my answer is this. We have done a test with it, with both pellet hops and whole hops alone without the 15" on top of it. It will filter a very small amount without getting clogged. It just does not have the surface area needed to be very useful alone. The 15" hinged false bottom stops about 70% of the pellet mush and trub, the level 3 will stop the other 30% of the debris, and I must say is VERY effective if used in the system.

Hope that helps
Cheers
Jay
Hi Jay,

Thanks for jumping in and helping out. I'll take a look on the website today!

Quick Reply