Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > anyone used this Turkey fryer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2006, 05:30 AM   #1
fa1321tx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default anyone used this Turkey fryer

I just got a gift card for Target and was considering getting the following and wanted to know if anyone has used it or know if it will work well for 5 gal brewing?

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B0000BXHL0

There is also a daul burner on the same page for $99 I was considering for when the day comes I try an all grain batch.

Thanks for your help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
brewhead
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

yes i started out with the single burner fryer. you can absolutely use this set up. it is a 30 quart kettle which leaves little head space for doing a full boil but if attended properly - you will be fine.

i also have the dual burner set up. the dual burner set up is great if you plan on going mini-mash or all grain. you will probably by then have a sculpture in mind and use the burners or use as is with a converted cooler.

the dual burner will take 2 - 40 quart kettles nicely. here i have a 40 and a 30 quart. however i have used a 60 and a 40 with no issues

Old 04-10-2006, 07:52 PM   #3
davidkrau
Recipes 

I have a similar turkey fryer. I don't know how many BTU's it has but it works great. I have no trouble boiling 61/2 gals of wort. I heat the hot water for the mash and sparge in the aluminum pot that came with it. I boil the wort in 71/2 enamel steel canning cooker. he next thong I buy will be a 10 Gal SS pot with a ball valve faucet.

Old 04-10-2006, 08:07 PM   #4
budbo
Beer is good
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have that one, it works great, will do a 5 gallon boil with no problems.. it's 55,000 BTU

Old 04-13-2006, 02:41 AM   #5
mxracer846
Recipes 

I also used a turkey frier for my first batch. Someone just told me that I shouldn't use it because of the acidity of the aluminum during your boil. How true is that and should I switch to SS before my next batch

Up Next: Not Sure
Primary: German Alt
Secondary: Empty
Bottle Conditioning: Nut Brown Ale
Bottled & Drinking: Hefe Weizen

Old 04-13-2006, 03:05 AM   #6
fa1321tx
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer846
I also used a turkey frier for my first batch. Someone just told me that I shouldn't use it because of the acidity of the aluminum during your boil. How true is that and should I switch to SS before my next batch

I just got the book brew ware and they say people claim it leaves a metal taste in your beer but they dont beleive this to be true.

I have had plenty of beer in aluminum cans no metal taste.

I would also like to now peoples opinion on this?

Old 04-13-2006, 03:11 AM   #7
davidkrau
Recipes 

Stainless Steel is better. It will last lomger and looks nicer but aside from that I think aluminum is fine. Aluminum cooking utensils have been on the market for probably a hundred years. They are used as cooking kettles in restaurants and the notion that you'll get alzheimers is bunk. Palmer's book says that it is OK to use aluminum and has a better heat transfer than SS. If you ever want to upgrade your equipment SS is one of the things you might want to consider

Old 04-14-2006, 01:46 AM   #8
fa1321tx
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow I was just about to order the turkey fryer from Target when my wife ask me if I checked Academy Sports look at these

http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag.../grills/fryers

Seems real affordable I wonder if they will work well for 5 gallon batch?

Old 04-14-2006, 02:07 AM   #9
davidkrau
Recipes 

It looks like the best deal I've seen especially the SS. I'd buy the latgest-- should be at least 71/2 gals preferably 10 gal. This will serve all your 5 gal all grain brewing needs

Old 04-14-2006, 02:14 AM   #10
davidkrau
Recipes 

PS some people think a 71/2 gal is too small and that a 10 0r 12 gal is the way to go. I've been getting by with a 71/2 gal for all grain brews.

Quick Reply