Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Anyone Use Stackable Vittles Vault Fermenters

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 392 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Anyone Use Stackable Vittles Vault Fermenters

I found a few threads of people using these, but I couldn't find any pictures.

Those of you using the stackable Vittles Vault as fermenters, did you make a 45 degree angle to keep your airlock perpendicular to the floor, or do you just let it stick directly out of the lid at a 45 degree angle? Anyone have any pics of these stackables used as fermenters?

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
JoePro
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you were careful enough, I imagine you could bore your own hole in the top to add the airlock + washer and not worry about angles.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 392 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Thanks for the reply. I'm really only interested in these because they are stackable. Putting and airlock in the top would be easy enough, but then they are no longer stackable.

My relegated brew closet will only fit three bucket fermenters right now, I could fit 4-6 if I could stack these vittles vaults two high.

I assume a bubbler airlock would be fine at a 45 degree angle in the lid, but a three-piece airlock probably wouldn't function properly at that angle. Anyway, I want to see if anyone had any experience before I started experimenting.

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 07-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
JoePro
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherM View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'm really only interested in these because they are stackable. Putting and airlock in the top would be easy enough, but then they are no longer stackable.

My relegated brew closet will only fit three bucket fermenters right now, I could fit 4-6 if I could stack these vittles vaults two high.

Good point on the airlock getting in the way of stacking. I am retarded.

You might be able to drill a hole in the angled part and add maybe a CPVC elbow, and then that can seat your airlock?

There's gotta be a way to adapt to this-- because it looks like those would be REALLY functional!

Old 07-14-2011, 11:04 PM   #5
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 487 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Problem is heat rises and fermenting creates heat. my.02

Old 07-14-2011, 11:46 PM   #6
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I thought about using those, except you can't open them until done, that is if you filled it up beyond the level of the cover. Or you would have to turn them and then whatever had settled on the bottom is now going to be kicked back up. Why not just go with the regular vittles vaults and buy/build a shelf?

Old 07-14-2011, 11:57 PM   #7
JCBrew1
Recipes 

Default Just Drilled & Added Grommet Tonight

I understand what you want to do and why, I just drilled my 13 gallon Vittle Vault and installed the grommet for the Airlock. I would offer caution with stacking them myself, due to a couple reasons. 1.) Like mentioned prior by someone else, the heat. I figure if one can produce 5 degrees while fermenting, then what will 3 do on top of each other, and the higher the temp while fermenting, the more liklihood of off flavors from fermenting at too high of a temp for the yeast. 2.) I know my fermenters (Plastic Barrels), when I lift them, the bottom sags under the weight of the wort, this causes the airlocks to inhale a bunch of air and liquid through the airlock into my sanitary wort (now beer). I imagine lifting one off the other, setting one back on the other, etc.... will create a kind of inhaling & exhaling and maybe suck in some nasties eventually. I might be wrong, but something for you to think about (stacking I mean).

Last edited by JCBrew1; 07-15-2011 at 12:14 AM.

Quick Reply