Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Anyone use bayou classic steam basket when brewing BIAB?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
scoundrel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Anyone use bayou classic steam basket when brewing BIAB?

I'm getting a large ss bayou classic brew kettle for christmas and it comes with the steam basket. I have a BIAB setup and would like to use the basket for simplicity and to take the stress off the bag when brewing 10+ gallon batches. I was wondering if anyone has tried this. I'd specifically like to know if it protects the bag from burning and if the wort burns in the gap between the basket and kettle. Any and all input is most appreciated!

Starter??? I don't even know her!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
warex
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't have a bayou classic brew kettle but another brand. I put my bags in my steam basket. I have had no problems with it whatsoever. I am happy with the results I get and don't plan on changing. Also using the steam basket makes it easy to recover the wart in the grain. I just set the steamer pot on top of another pot and let it drain and then add it back in the main pot.

The only issue is that the steamer pot is smaller than the big pot so it will hold less grain. With my last beer I went for a big beer and maxed out the room in the steamer pot. If I wanted to add any more grain I would have to do without the steamer pot. Also because water is between the two pots you have to use more water for your mash in. Not a problem just something to be aware of.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
scoundrel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warex View Post
I don't have a bayou classic brew kettle but another brand. I put my bags in my steam basket. I have had no problems with it whatsoever. I am happy with the results I get and don't plan on changing. Also using the steam basket makes it easy to recover the wart in the grain. I just set the steamer pot on top of another pot and let it drain and then add it back in the main pot.

The only issue is that the steamer pot is smaller than the big pot so it will hold less grain. With my last beer I went for a big beer and maxed out the room in the steamer pot. If I wanted to add any more grain I would have to do without the steamer pot. Also because water is between the two pots you have to use more water for your mash in. Not a problem just something to be aware of.
That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I got the 82 qt so I should be in good shape for 10 gallon batches. The steamer pot was meant for it and my 8 year old can sit in it, lol. If I decide to try a 15 gallon batch it could get dicey. I never thought about the water between the kettle and basket. That's a good point, thanks!

Old 12-11-2011, 12:49 AM   #4
Horace
Recipes 

The only problem that I have run into with a steamer basket is uneven temperatures are more likely. Not really sure why but I find myself stirring more often to even out temps. I don't have that problem when the steamer basket is not used. Good or bad, that has been my experience.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:35 AM   #5
scoundrel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
The only problem that I have run into with a steamer basket is uneven temperatures are more likely. Not really sure why but I find myself stirring more often to even out temps. I don't have that problem when the steamer basket is not used. Good or bad, that has been my experience.
Thanks Horace. Do you use rice hulls?

Old 12-11-2011, 04:23 AM   #6
CanadianQuaffer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The strainer basket is the reason I am switching over to "real" AG brewing. My basket is smaller than the brew pot, leaving about 1" of space in between the two. The water in that space WOULD NOT drop to the desired temps when grain was added. So while the grain bed for the mash was at about 152-155 the 1" of water surrounding it stayed at about 168-170F. Both batches of beer I made using this set up turned out pretty ok, but it was enough of a headache that I just decided to go the traditional route instead.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:30 AM   #7
scoundrel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianQuaffer View Post
The strainer basket is the reason I am switching over to "real" AG brewing. My basket is smaller than the brew pot, leaving about 1" of space in between the two. The water in that space WOULD NOT drop to the desired temps when grain was added. So while the grain bed for the mash was at about 152-155 the 1" of water surrounding it stayed at about 168-170F. Both batches of beer I made using this set up turned out pretty ok, but it was enough of a headache that I just decided to go the traditional route instead.
That's interesting. In my case, the basket just fits inside the kettle. It may have a clearance of 1/8 inch if not less. I guess I'll do something simple like a 60 Shilling to test it out. If it doesn't work, I'll use the basket to protect the bag and drop it on a Weber grill grate to get the wort out.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:32 AM   #8
CanadianQuaffer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If your basket fits just fine inside the kettle I'm sure you won't have any issues, but that 1" of space I had made temp control a big headache for me.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:33 AM   #9
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianQuaffer
I'm finishing up my system which is quite similar. I'm going to try to circulate the wort occasionally during the mash to keep the enzymes moving and to perhaps reduce the temp difference you mention. Kind of like the braumeister, but simply pulling the wort out from the kettle valve and running it back through the kettle lid, then into the middle of the strainer/grain bag to keep the grains moving around. I'm thinking of circulating a couple of times during the mash, maybe 5-8 minutes each time. What do you think?

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 12-11-2011, 05:32 AM   #10
CanadianQuaffer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well, I think your idea of circulating the wort will help, as one batch was noticeably better regarding efficiency, and for that batch I lifted the strainer basket out of the water several times during the mashing process which might have a similar effect to what you're talking about. Also rinsing the grain is doubly important, IMHO, so you might not want to do a full volume BIAB mash and use some sparge water to rinse the grains to reach your pre-boil volume after mashing.

I'm sure I could fine tune my process with my BIAB set up to get it right, but I just don't have the patience to endure another potentially stressful brew day and I kind of always wanted to do all-grain the traditional way anyway.

Quick Reply