*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Anyone running the Tower of Power?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #21
gwfrankpsu
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: California
Posts: 18
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

I recirculate to get to the strike temperature and then turn off the pump to add the grains (I also close the out valve on the mash tun). The mash-in for ~10 minutes allows the grains to soak in and ensures there is no clumps or air bubbles that could cause the pump to lose prime. After mash-in I open the out valve on the mash tun and turn on the pump and switch the controller to AUTO.

Toward the end of the mash when I'm raising the temperature for mash-out, I stir the grain and allow to settle before dropping wort to the brew kettle.

__________________
gwfrankpsu is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012, 03:22 AM   #22
dermotstratton
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 143
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

When I installed the solenoid valve, the gas line isn't long enough to attach. Did anyone else have this problem?

image-3407150994.jpg  
__________________
dermotstratton is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #23
eastoak
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: oakland, california
Posts: 3,219
Liked 149 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dermotstratton View Post
When I installed the solenoid valve, the gas line isn't long enough to attach. Did anyone else have this problem?
i take it you resolved this already but i added a nipple to the supply pipe to get it to reach.
__________________
eastoak is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 11:52 PM   #24
dermotstratton
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 143
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Yeah, I added a piece of 7" black pipe to the junction to make up the difference. I was surprised this was necessary, but it was not much more work to fix.

__________________
dermotstratton is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2012, 03:49 AM   #25
toddegg
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 20
Default short gas supply

if you look at the photos in the blichmann manual, i don't believe they take off the gas supply attenuation. in other words, the thumb screw control of the gas supply.... if that were not removed, the solenoid would be coming off at a right angle (to the burner input) and your gas supply line would reach. that said, i personally had leak issues with the blichmann supply lines and replaced them before i purchased and installed the TOP. just have gotten my rig set up with the TOP and can post pics / video if anyone wants.

__________________
toddegg is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2012, 05:33 AM   #26
gjabball
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
gjabball's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddegg
if you look at the photos in the blichmann manual, i don't believe they take off the gas supply attenuation. in other words, the thumb screw control of the gas supply.... if that were not removed, the solenoid would be coming off at a right angle (to the burner input) and your gas supply line would reach. that said, i personally had leak issues with the blichmann supply lines and replaced them before i purchased and installed the TOP. just have gotten my rig set up with the TOP and can post pics / video if anyone wants.
Would love to see pictures and videos of your set up. I am putting together a top tier/ TOP setup too.
__________________
gjabball is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 03:19 AM   #27
toddegg
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 20
Default My TT/TOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjabball View Post
Would love to see pictures and videos of your set up. I am putting together a top tier/ TOP setup too.
Here's a quick pic of my setup (current). I have gone back and forth with having both HLT & MT lower, boil kettle separate, etc. etc. I have two pumps and can easily readjust to whatever configuration I want. I also have a SS HERMS coil in the HLT as I had been doing HERMS before I got the TOP. Will try to video next brew day. Took the TOP for a test with water. Seemed to work very well & programmed with the TOP-Link v2 software was easy enough.
brewery-014sm.jpg  
__________________
toddegg is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 04:41 AM   #28
gjabball
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
gjabball's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddegg

Here's a quick pic of my setup (current). I have gone back and forth with having both HLT & MT lower, boil kettle separate, etc. etc. I have two pumps and can easily readjust to whatever configuration I want. I also have a SS HERMS coil in the HLT as I had been doing HERMS before I got the TOP. Will try to video next brew day. Took the TOP for a test with water. Seemed to work very well & programmed with the TOP-Link v2 software was easy enough.
Looks great. Did you drill a hole in the HLT to mount the temp sensor? How did that workout? I know most people take out the thermometer and use that hole instead. What do you use the other two pumps for if you have the tower of power pump already? Thanks again for the picture!
__________________
gjabball is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 11:38 PM   #29
toddegg
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 20
Default

I have had the TopTier for a while, and have been running a HERMS system (hence the other two quick disconnects you see on the HLT). For that I was using two pumps at various points on brew day. I did drill a hole in the kettle with a step drill for the temp probe, as I did for the herms coil. Those are the only three holes I've ever drilled thru steel of any kind, so I can tell you with beginner's confidence that it was not hard, and none leak. I drilled it because there is a plug to close it easily, it wasn't hard after my experience with the HERMS, and I have the thermometer as a backup in case something isn't working.

Pumps: At the moment with a RIMS setup, I will just alternate or have a spare pump in case of a mishap on brew day with the two pumps. One I got pretty cheap anyway. Everything is wired into the controller switches you see on the front of the tower main pole, so I didn't want to do any rewiring to remove the one pump. There are other uses - ie. recirculate the HLT, or if my mash is too dark or caramelized in any way with the RIMS, I can use the second pump to go back to HERMS (eHERMS this time). Lastly, I may go back to a level HLT & MT and/or move the BK off the stand completely, so for now the pump will just stay put. (I'm a bit indecisive and/or ADHD about the best method/mechanism for how this works, but have gotten better consistency and higher efficiency throughout my changes).

My advise from my many attempts, rearrangements, etc:.... hmmm.... the Therminator reduced a lot of time and energy for sure, the TOP works like a dream (with water so far), the switch I wired onto the front makes it so easy to turn one flow on or off - it's not too hard or expensive - definitely suggest it, get some Home Depot gas lines a little longer than the Blichmann (makes rearranging your system MUCH easier), get a second pump as a backup or to pump wort from BK thru chiller and you'll have much less hassle with re-routing tubes (you don't need a third as I have, but get a second). Finally.... take the time to think it out before you assemble (I still may have to take this all apart just to rotate the kettles due to the wheels! I have the optional mounting bracket for the TOP before it was actually released, and not sure I want to mount it on the leg it is close to in the picture).

thanks

__________________
toddegg is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 12:11 AM   #30
gjabball
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
gjabball's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddegg
I have had the TopTier for a while, and have been running a HERMS system (hence the other two quick disconnects you see on the HLT). For that I was using two pumps at various points on brew day. I did drill a hole in the kettle with a step drill for the temp probe, as I did for the herms coil. Those are the only three holes I've ever drilled thru steel of any kind, so I can tell you with beginner's confidence that it was not hard, and none leak. I drilled it because there is a plug to close it easily, it wasn't hard after my experience with the HERMS, and I have the thermometer as a backup in case something isn't working.

Pumps: At the moment with a RIMS setup, I will just alternate or have a spare pump in case of a mishap on brew day with the two pumps. One I got pretty cheap anyway. Everything is wired into the controller switches you see on the front of the tower main pole, so I didn't want to do any rewiring to remove the one pump. There are other uses - ie. recirculate the HLT, or if my mash is too dark or caramelized in any way with the RIMS, I can use the second pump to go back to HERMS (eHERMS this time). Lastly, I may go back to a level HLT & MT and/or move the BK off the stand completely, so for now the pump will just stay put. (I'm a bit indecisive and/or ADHD about the best method/mechanism for how this works, but have gotten better consistency and higher efficiency throughout my changes).

My advise from my many attempts, rearrangements, etc:.... hmmm.... the Therminator reduced a lot of time and energy for sure, the TOP works like a dream (with water so far), the switch I wired onto the front makes it so easy to turn one flow on or off - it's not too hard or expensive - definitely suggest it, get some Home Depot gas lines a little longer than the Blichmann (makes rearranging your system MUCH easier), get a second pump as a backup or to pump wort from BK thru chiller and you'll have much less hassle with re-routing tubes (you don't need a third as I have, but get a second). Finally.... take the time to think it out before you assemble (I still may have to take this all apart just to rotate the kettles due to the wheels! I have the optional mounting bracket for the TOP before it was actually released, and not sure I want to mount it on the leg it is close to in the picture).

thanks
Thanks for the response. That is really helpful. I wanted to drill a hole and mount the temperature sensor on the HLT. Like you, I thought it would be good to have a backup as well as it looks cool. I am interested in the bracket that mounts the TOP with the top tier. Why wouldn't you use it? My thought was it could be too close to the heat from the burners? I also like your idea of a backup pump. Anything else you would suggest? Do you like the RIMS vs the HERMS? I know there are huge debates about this but I was wondering in regards to using the Top Tier?

I appreciate your help!
__________________
gjabball is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Got to test out the Tower of Power last night mpcluever Equipment/Sanitation 51 04-01-2014 05:17 AM
Anyone have any pictures of the Blichmann "Tower of Power"? worldzfree Equipment/Sanitation 130 12-07-2013 07:01 AM
Tower of Power is out... Deuce Equipment/Sanitation 47 06-10-2012 07:29 PM
Tower of Power! Ryush806 Equipment/Sanitation 0 03-26-2012 04:20 AM
Is it AC or DC power running through Love Controller Probe terrazza Equipment/Sanitation 1 01-08-2009 08:11 AM