Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Anyone know if Vittles Vaults can handle hot wort?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 03:35 AM   #1
jd-santaclarita
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Anyone know if Vittles Vaults can handle hot wort?

I'm hoping it can handle transferring hot work from the boil kettle straight to the vittles vault as I was planning on doing this for no-chill brewing. I believe they are HDPE. Anyone do this before? If so, do you seal the lid up tight or leave it a bit loose until cool so it doesn't implode?

Thanks all,
JD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
bucfanmike
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have not done a no chill batch so take this for what it's worth. The no chill methods I have read tend to use the collapsible water type containers. This allows them to be squeezed down to eliminate the excess air before capping on the hot wort. If you were to use a solid vessel then that would leave a lot of air space, I think that may contribute to off flavors in the finished product.

Mike in Duluth

Currently on Tap
1. Hefeweizen
2. BM Centennial Blonde
3. LHMS Clone

Pipeline
Next on Tap-Denny Conn Rye IPA
Kegged and aging Ed Worts Apfelwine, Denny Conn BVIP
Fermenters -

Old 04-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
kevreh
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd-santaclarita View Post
I'm hoping it can handle transferring hot work from the boil kettle straight to the vittles vault as I was planning on doing this for no-chill brewing. I believe they are HDPE. Anyone do this before? If so, do you seal the lid up tight or leave it a bit loose until cool so it doesn't implode?

Thanks all,
JD
Did you ever get your answer? I guess you could find out for sure the type of plastic then google [plastic name] material characteristics and you should get all sorts of data, including temp range. Also mcmaster usplastics has a lot of this info.

Quick Reply