Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Anyone heard of using induction heating for brewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #21
willynilly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Well, Blichmans are non magnetic, so will they work well then?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #22
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The pan must be magnetic.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:52 AM   #23
SankePankey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Default Looked into it for a while

I had researched this pretty heavily before deciding to go all electric/immersed element.

I read a thread that one of the guys that works at Cooktek (the better/best brand of cooktop) uses his 1800W 120V to brew 5 gals. You may try calling them and asking. I wanted to brew 15 gal, so I gave up. After 1800 W, it goes up to 240V. They then go up to 3500W, which are pricey but would probably handle boiling wort.

I also remember reading somewhere that the Morebeer kettles are magnetizable and would work with an induction element. Polarwear makes some really nice tri-ply stock pots (in addition to their kettles), but they don't have fittings, you have to make the kettle.

However, if Morebeer and Cooktek teamed up and marketed one of these with a 20 gal kettle, it would be a winner (they just have to make the heat levels more adjustable)... for the deep pocketed, that is.

http://www.cooktek.com/product_info.php?c=3&s=25&p=106

Check out the video clip to see how big this thing is.

And speaking of adjustable, that's what I'd make sure to do if I were buying one. Make sure you get one with "100 heat levels" or whatever. One that has 12 heat levels would be hard to hit a temp. Even the 100 level ones have steps in 5 degree increments when you get up to boiling level. That's almost not good enough.

And another thing, some of these have an 'automatic pot size detector. I would just check things out with the size of your kettle and whether it's going to trip the computer up and not work right. Most of these can accommodate 12-14" pots. Not big enough for me.

The one I was going to buy (because of features and price) was a Vollrath. I'd check those out. It has timers (sweet! perfect for brewing) so people can cook sous vide, etc. I would make sure that if you wanted to use the timers some have that you make sure they go long enough (which is the concept behind Sous Vide, low heat/long hours in a vacuum seal). The better higher end of the Cookteks have this, but not the lower end (same element probably, different computer). The Vollrath did and was the same price as the lower end Cooktek.

Ebay is your friend, but I would be wary of the real cheappies out there.

Cheers.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #24
northernlad
Recipes 

Good Stuff Sanke and on the money.
Cooktek is the top of the line and Vollrath a close secomd.
THe Stock pot range you linked will handle up to a 22" pot, is 7-8000 watts and 3 phase. When I get to work I'll ballpark the price. I don't think Vollrath has one in this league.
The other thing to think about, especially with any 120v unit, is the weight capacity.
THe nice thing about them is, though they look like your normal glass top, your pot does not have to be in contact with the burner to work properly. In case you have a pot that is "well used".

Old 04-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #25
SankePankey
Recipes 

Oh, so you must be 'the guy' I mentioned. Glad you're here. There are virtually no threads on the net about this, so I'm glad to have the official word from a company rep. Thanks.

On weight capacity, the induction ranges will operate thru marble/corian/etc. countertops - meaning with the cooktop underneath.

I have no idea if there is a drop in efficiency if you do so- that would be the question for you. I can imagine a neat brew rig that has 2 X 3500W (for the HLT and BK) and 1 X 2000W (for the MLT) induction elements mounted below an inexpensive slab of remnant/leftover kitchen countertop on a steel table. I was going to do it this way before I decided on my current setup.

That table would also double as a kick a$$ cooking range and I would lurrrrve to have one like that.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:09 PM   #26
SankePankey
Recipes 

EDIT: I just happen to be a mad man when it comes to making things 'dual use'. It's almost like OCD with me.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #27
northernlad
Recipes 

I don't work for Cooktek, but I do sell Restaurant Equipment.
For comparison, the MCD-3500 at 3500 watts is equivalent to 31,000 BTU, the average output of a commercial gas range. They claim it will bring a gallon of room temp water to a boil in 5.6 minutes.
MSP-7000 is 208-240V, 3ph, 7000w (62,000BTU)~$2600. 2.8 minutes to boil a gallon of water. 5 gallons in less than 15 minutes.

The one problem with the preset holding temp is they are designed for restaurant temps so 85* for chocolate, 145* for hot holding, 165* for reheating food, etc.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:35 PM   #28
SankePankey
Recipes 

I see a $10,000 optional upgrade for the B3 1100 in the future. Any takers?

Wonder if you could bypass the stock pot's temp sensor in favor of a LOVE controller or something. Giggidy, giggidy...

Old 04-13-2010, 09:38 PM   #29
SankePankey
Recipes 

Still, I think an immersed LD element has a better chance of hitting temps faster than an induction element. My opinion, not tested.

Quick Reply