Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Anyone have a Tru Temp 3518 Dig. Thermometer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Default Anyone have a Tru Temp 3518 Dig. Thermometer?

This one?

I did the silicon tubing waterproofing thing found here;

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=26905

And that part seems fine. BUT how the heck do you turn the darn thing off?? There's no on/off button....Do I have to take the battery out everytime I'm done using it?

There's nothing in the instruction that talks about holding any buttons down to turn off...

grrrr.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 06-03-2008 at 12:13 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

No worries about it staying on 24/7 as that 1.5 volt AAA battery will last for a year. Pressint the CLEAR/ALARM OFF button when it goes off will greatly extend battery life as the alarm takes a lot more energy than the LCD. It should qiut sounding after one minute when a set temp has been reached.

Last edited by BrewBeemer; 05-30-2008 at 04:51 PM.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:47 PM   #3
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer View Post
No worries about it staying on 24/7 as that 1.5 volt AAA battery will last for a year.
Geez...it still seems like a waste though, just sitting there on, when I'm going to use it maybe once or twice a week.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-18-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
Robs
Recipes 

Stay away from that crap.

Mine just ruined a batch: the alarm does not work properly. If the moon phase is wrong, the thermometer does not alert you and instead just turns itself off. The batteries are doing fine, I checked that. It's the thermometer that is broken.

I had another manual tru temp thermometer that would always black out if the steam from the pot was too much (usually around 70 degrees C).

Stay away from Tru temp.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Yeah, I've long since given up on the whole digital thermometer thing. It's been 2 years since I posted that and I've come to realize that the only onces that work are the ones on here mentioned elsewhere, and beyond my price range. For the last two years I've been using these 12" glass "scientific" thermometers;

They are about 5 bucks at every homebrew shop, accurate as all get out, and have a nice little hole on the top that you can fit through the end of a coat-hanger hook and hang from the side of a kettle.

I've been using it pretty much for everything. In fact since I was brewing 2 batches at the same time today, I ran out and got a second one.

Quick Reply