Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Anyone have any pictures of the Blichmann "Tower of Power"?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #101
lhd7osc
Frydaddy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG318 View Post
DUDE!! Incredible set-up....thank-you. I'm the nerd that gave your video about 50 more views...I kept checking your set-up. Here's my laundry list of questions:

-- I noticed you have TWO pumps. One on the tower and one below. What do you use the pump on the Tier for? Recirculation?

-- On the question of recirculation or whirl pooling; can you or do you do that with your system? And if so, how?

(I've been using this cheap cooper tubing I purchased from Austin Brewing Supplies (I think) and basically place it in my kettle from the top. I too have a Top Tier but mine's all ghetto with ONE Blichmann kettle and the rest a water cooler and a 8 gallon pot for HLT.)

-- I'm assuming you let gravity flow the HLT water into your Mash Kettle?

-- Final question or more so a statement. Dude, that entire set-up must have put you back about $3,000 plus!!

Still, it seriously rocks!

"Give a man a beer, he'll waste an afternoon. But teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #102
dcbc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dermotstratton View Post
I just put together my new Blichmann setup. I have a Top Tier with stand with two Blichmann Boilmakers and one Keggle. (might end up upgrading BK to a boilmaker in the future). I also have the Tower of Power stand with only a MT control box.

I'm very happy with it thus far, but I have one main concern. I filled my MT with water and heated up to strike temperature with pump recirculating. I let it equilibriate at strike temperature (took about 5 minutes) and then measured water temp with Thermapen. There was a 8 degree F difference between what tower of power control module thermocouple read and what thermapen read. I'm not sure if there is a way to calibrate the thermocouple on tower of power, but I trust the thermapen reading more.

My only concern is calibration of the thermocouple so far. Interested if anyone else has looked into this. . . .
Did you email them at Blichmann about this? You're taking the temperature reading from the pump output, right? What was your flow rate? How high was your burner turned up. According to the manual, you want the burner very low and the flow rate as high as you can without sticking the mash to reduce oscillation and overshoot of temperature.

If it can be adjusted, I assume it would require that it be done through the software.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #103
NMG318
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhd7osc View Post
DUDE!! Incredible set-up....thank-you. I'm the nerd that gave your video about 50 more views...I kept checking your set-up. Here's my laundry list of questions:

-- I noticed you have TWO pumps. One on the tower and one below. What do you use the pump on the Tier for? Recirculation?

-- On the question of recirculation or whirl pooling; can you or do you do that with your system? And if so, how?

(I've been using this cheap cooper tubing I purchased from Austin Brewing Supplies (I think) and basically place it in my kettle from the top. I too have a Top Tier but mine's all ghetto with ONE Blichmann kettle and the rest a water cooler and a 8 gallon pot for HLT.)

-- I'm assuming you let gravity flow the HLT water into your Mash Kettle?

-- Final question or more so a statement. Dude, that entire set-up must have put you back about $3,000 plus!!

Still, it seriously rocks!
I use the other pump to move the wort from the boil pot thru the therminator to the carboy.

You have to recirculate with the tower of power system.

I use gravity from my HLT to Mash using the auto sparge.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #104
NMG318
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I just put together my new Blichmann setup. I have a Top Tier with stand with two Blichmann Boilmakers and one Keggle. (might end up upgrading BK to a boilmaker in the future). I also have the Tower of Power stand with only a MT control box.

I'm very happy with it thus far, but I have one main concern. I filled my MT with water and heated up to strike temperature with pump recirculating. I let it equilibriate at strike temperature (took about 5 minutes) and then measured water temp with Thermapen. There was a 8 degree F difference between what tower of power control module thermocouple read and what thermapen read. I'm not sure if there is a way to calibrate the thermocouple on tower of power, but I trust the thermapen reading more.

In terms of ease of use, this thing is great. Makes brew day much easier. I contacted Blichmann about getting the mounting bracket to put tower of power on Top Tier stand. They said it should be coming out soon. I don't know if I would want to mount it on stand, though. I like being able to move the tower to make hose alignment easier to manage. I also don't want it too close to a burner.

My only concern is calibration of the thermocouple so far. Interested if anyone else has looked into this. . . .
My reading on the controller (thermocouple reading) has been within 1 degree of the MT brewmometer (2 brews). The digital thermometer I use that I have always thought was very accurate reads several degrees lower than the thermocouple and the brewmometer. I had always trusted the digital over the brewmometer but now I am thinking the digital is off. I would query Blichmann.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #105
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Blichmann provides almost no support for their products, they want you to deal with the retailer. all of the emails between me and john blichmann have been very curt and unhelpful he won't give more than 1 or 2 sentence responses. i'd like to hear that mine is not the typical experience. i just got the tracking info for my TOP and it's being sent ground instead of the 2nd day air like i paid for. this morning i talked to rebel brewer about it and he let slip that blichmann "sucks" at customer service. won't stop me from buying their gear, just a weird thing with me maybe.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #106
dcbc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak View Post
Blichmann provides almost no support for their products, they want you to deal with the retailer. all of the emails between me and john blichmann have been very curt and unhelpful he won't give more than 1 or 2 sentence responses. i'd like to hear that mine is not the typical experience. i just got the tracking info for my TOP and it's being sent ground instead of the 2nd day air like i paid for. this morning i talked to rebel brewer about it and he let slip that blichmann "sucks" at customer service. won't stop me from buying their gear, just a weird thing with me maybe.
Agree that John's response are a little brief for my tastes as well. There's another guy that answers email there that is a little more helpful.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #107
lhd7osc
Frydaddy

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak View Post
. i just got the tracking info for my TOP and it's being sent ground instead of the 2nd day air like i paid for..

I would think of the weight and size of the Top Tier that it could ONLY go ground? I couldn't imagine the cost for Air...I hope you got your coin back?

"Give a man a beer, he'll waste an afternoon. But teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime!"

Old 09-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #108
dermotstratton
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I measured temps with just water recirculating, so recirc rate and flame strength shouldn't be an issue.

Most people swear by a Thermapen. It is a $100 digital thermometer used across the food industry. Next time I will check with my old school mercury thermometer to double check.

Disappointed to hear customer service is bad. I have contacted Blichmann directly, but for the prices they charge I would expect good customer service.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #109
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhd7osc View Post
I would think of the weight and size of the Top Tier that it could ONLY go ground? I couldn't imagine the cost for Air...I hope you got your coin back?
by TOP i mean Tower of Power. the tracking says it weighs 6lb or so. rebel brewer says they will credit the shipping cost back to me.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #110
dcbc
Recipes 

Quote:
I measured temps with just water recirculating, so recirc rate and flame strength shouldn't be an issue.
Forgive me for being dense, but why would these two things not have any bearing on overshoot?

Also, how much water were you using?

I'm not meaning to be argumentative. But I'm about to do the first brew on mine tomorrow and am hoping to avoid as many pitfalls as possible.

Quick Reply