HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Anyone ever use an aftermarket HD canning element on their stove for boiling wort?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2008, 11:48 PM   #11
TBLbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This sounds really cool, but I think my SWMBO would kill me if I moved my brewing back inside.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2008, 05:52 PM   #12
Medo
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Update: got it, used it!

Ahoy hoy,
Well I promised to let folks know how this went. Ive done 2 batches, back to back, with the canning element. And, on a scale of 1-10, I would give it a 7ish. It can achieve a boil, and this using my 50 qt pot and 7 gallons of wort. Its not as violent a boil as i prefer, but its definitely a sound solid one. Now, I do have 2inch foil backed insulation ( duct insulation) wrapped around the pot to help it hold heat. But, while it definitely isn't equal to gas, it sure beats the stock burner all to hell. Ive found it works best with a 90 minute boil as that is what it took to get 7 gallons to 5 since its not a roaring boil But if you dont have any other choice, it will do the trick. For the 20 bucks, which included shipping, i cannot complain. If anyone has questions, shoot me a line.
I bid you all a great day!

Sean Thornton (John Wayne) "I'll have one of those black beers."
Pat Cohan (Harry Tyler) the publican "Ah, the porter. Yes sir."
From 'The Quiet Man' 1952

"Tell me, Alvis - for all wights' fate
I deem that, dwarf, thou knowest -
how the beer is hight which is brewed by men,
in all the worlds so wide?"

- The Lay of Alvis

Visit my beer blog at http://homebrew.medofernandez.com

Old 11-11-2008, 02:22 AM   #13
BeerCanuck

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was checking on the thread Medo ...good stuff to know...sounds like a mulligan for anyone who brews on a electric stove..Just hoping they make canning elements for the Canadian Bretheren

Cheers
BeerCanuck

Old 11-11-2008, 02:57 AM   #14
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerCanuck View Post
I was checking on the thread Medo ...good stuff to know...sounds like a mulligan for anyone who brews on a electric stove..Just hoping they make canning elements for the Canadian Bretheren
The canning elements should work on any stove unless its made by GE, they have some special connector from what I understand

Old 11-14-2008, 02:21 AM   #15
lazerpenguin
Recipes 

how very weird, I have been researching for about 9 months now about setting up an all grain system, but due to the cost and p.i.t.a. propane would be in the rainy NW I wanted to start off with electricity somehow. I finally find out today that they make stove top elements that go up to 2600w and bam! you have a thread about it!

I really think that this is the route that im gonna go, since I don't own the house I'm in so I can't go wire the place to build a kick ass brewery, nor do I have the funds. I do have a few questions for you tho.

how long did it take to get to mash temp? how long to boil from there? Is it something that can be taken on and off at will? I'm not sure how the rest of the household would feel about burning their dinner due to my super charged element do you think that this could have a chance in holy hell at boiling a ten gallon batch?

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-02-2009, 05:25 PM   #16
DarkHelmet
Recipes 

Has anyone purchased one of these canning elements online, then had trouble installing it? I'm just wondering if they're semi-universal. It seems like they would be, but I wanted to ask and see what experiences other people have had, because many online store return policies leave much to be desired, as evidenced by my recent conversation with one of the customer service reps:

Quote:
Welcome to AP Wagner, Angelo AES will be right with you

Angelo AES
Hello, This is Angelo how may i assist you today?

Dave
Hi. I'm thinking about buying this product, and it says it fits "most electric ranges except GE". Since I have a Frigidaire range, I'm guessing it will probably fit, correct? And if not, may I return it with no problems? here is the product Canning Element 81410610 Frigidaire : APWagner Appliance Parts Source

Angelo AES
If it states that it fits most units that it most likely fit but there are no guarantees if you purchase the item and install it it is no longer available to return.

Dave
If I try to install it, but it doesn't fit.... does that count as installing it? Since it was never actually installed...

Angelo AES
Yes is does count as it being installed because it was pulled out of the packaged and an install was attempted.

Dave
Weird. Okay I guess I will find another company to buy from. Thanks for your time.

Angelo AES
Thank you for visiting us today, is there anything else I can do for you?

Dave
Tell your boss that you need a better return policy. Have a nice day.

Angelo AES
Have a great day!

Old 09-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #17
Safa
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

This thread is ancient, but I'm just wondering if anyone uses these now?

I had no problem getting to a full 5 gal boil last brew day, but Im worried about ruining the element on my crappy GE stove. One broke already (the support spot weld came apart) and I wasn't even brewing on that one, so I'm very hesitant to continue!

A little irreverence is good for the soul

Quick Reply