The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Anyone Else's Autosiphon Start to Lose its Seal After Awhile?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2008, 03:58 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Anyone Else's Autosiphon Start to Lose its Seal After Awhile?

I've noticed that my autosiphon doesn't really hold a great seal sometimes. I've had it for probably a year, maybe longer, and now, when the level of the beer starts to get closer to the end of the cane, like, 6" or so, I start to get bubbling and a loss of perfect siphon. I'm tacking a new one onto my AHS order just now, I was just wondering if anyone else had had this problem. I'm also wondering if the fact that my AS spends most of its time in my star san bath might start to deteriorate the plastic over long periods of time.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2008, 04:20 PM   #2
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

I bought one of those and it didn't work worth a damn. I tried some keg lube on the seal but it still pulled a huge amount of air into the wort. I'm back to suck starting my siphon because that's got to have less of an impact on my beer than bubbling the entire batch through air.

Old 07-12-2008, 04:32 PM   #3
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

Mine has started losing it's seal a bit. I usually have to move the inner cane around to get a good seal when the beer level gets low. I don't store mine in sanitizer. I was thinking that the seal may be drying out since I just store it on a shelf in the garage.

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-12-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
quickerNu

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

MIne is doing the same thing. Thinking about ordering a new one frome AHS this weekend before it craps out on me.

[I'm back!]

Old 07-12-2008, 04:44 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

I might try the keg lube thing just to see if it helps. Not a bad idea, even if it didn't work for you.

The old one still works, it's just not the best when the siphon pressure gets lower. The way I figure it, it can't hurt to have another, given that, in due time, I'll be needing to rack ye olde infected brews into kegs...and I'd like to have a dedicated siphoning system for my sour brews. A good PBW soak would probably do the trick on the bugs, but I'd rather to be overcautious than undercautious when it comes to pedio/lacto/brett running around my brewhouse. .

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-12-2008, 04:51 PM   #6
sully
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

after breaking numerous plastic auto siphons and cursing their maker i wised up and bought a stainless steel racking cane carboy caps and the sterile air filter. you just blow throught the air filter and it starts. works great. down with plastic auto siphons!

Old 07-12-2008, 05:10 PM   #7
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Are you guys storing your auto-syphon assembled? I had that problem with my first one and my LHBS recommended storing it with the racking cane portion removed. I've got about 2 years on my current one now.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 07-12-2008, 05:26 PM   #8
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsul View Post
Are you guys storing your auto-syphon assembled?
Nope, always disassembled.

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-12-2008, 05:26 PM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

yeah, same here, always disassembled...but, again, it spends 99% of its time in my starsan bin.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 07-12-2008, 06:12 PM   #10
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
I bought one of those and it didn't work worth a damn.
You got a lemon, I've got two and they both work spectacularly. One is over a year old, and still going strong. The second was in a box of brewing gear I got on CL, so I have no idea of it's age but it works great as well.

My only complaint is that I keep losing the tips! (I bought a few spares.) I can't even imagine going to the trouble and mess of starting a siphon the old fashioned way.

Quick Reply