Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Anyone bought a Monster Mill.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2007, 01:00 PM   #11
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Thanks, Fred!

If you need any beta testers...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2007, 01:36 PM   #12
jdoiv

Recipes 

Hey Fred,
Any idea if and when you may offer a motorized version? I would love to have a motorized mill, but have put off doing it with my current mill as it is already 8 years old. A motorized mill with a large hopper (20+ pounds) for around $250 would be a nice top of the line addition to your line up, and I for one would be willing to fork over the dough.

Fermenting:
Planning:

Old 11-16-2007, 02:37 PM   #13
Oedipus Rex
Recipes 

A motorized mill, with hopper for $250? No way.

I'm looking at building a manual 2 roller mill, without a hopper, for about $140 in materials. And that doesn't include any labor. The mill would be either gear or chain driven, and have 2 inch SST rollers.

Perhaps I'm just being cynical, but the only way someone could buy a new motorized mill for $250 would be if the manufacturer didn't care about making a profit and used inferior materials.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:09 PM   #14
RadicalEd
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Fred-
when you get some independent reviews in, make sure to link us to them! I'm sure a few unbiased favorable opinions will do more than anything to help your sales .

Good luck with your "new" company!

Old 11-16-2007, 09:26 PM   #15
Catfish
Art by David Shrigley

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 3 Posts

I just ordered one ($137 with international shipping and it was here in one week) I won't be getting a chance to brew with it until next weekend at the earliest, but my impressions out of the box are favorable. It is a chunky of steel, 1.5"x6" rollers doesn't sound so large, but my old mill was a feable 1"x4". The adjustment knobs are big, and the action adjusting the gap seems smooth. The screws for tightening the adjustment screws are easy to tighten by hand. The whole thing feels well build, there is some movement in the frame as it isn't attatched to a base yet. I'll write more once the hoppper and base are on and I get to brew with it.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:30 PM   #16
jdoiv

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oedipus Rex
A motorized mill, with hopper for $250? No way.

I'm looking at building a manual 2 roller mill, without a hopper, for about $140 in materials. And that doesn't include any labor. The mill would be either gear or chain driven, and have 2 inch SST rollers.

Perhaps I'm just being cynical, but the only way someone could buy a new motorized mill for $250 would be if the manufacturer didn't care about making a profit and used inferior materials.

Just buy the Monster Mill then. It's only $99. Save yourself the $50.

I was just stating what I would like to see. If it's not possible, then it's not possible.

BTW, I've seen geared reduction motors for like $35 online. So $130 for mill plus motor and all you need is a hopper. I don't think the hopper would cost $120.
Fermenting:
Planning:

Old 11-16-2007, 09:38 PM   #17
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Fred.

It may be more effective for you to rename your handle (username) to your company name. You can do this here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/profile.php?do=editpassword

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 11-17-2007, 12:23 AM   #18
Monster Mills

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A motorized mill is a great home project. Unfortunately I don't have time to build such a beast for sale, and I'm not sure of how many folks would want it already made and be willing to pay what it would cost to do well. I HAVE been approached by more than one person that was thinking of making their own cabinet design, and incorporating a mill into it, along with the bits for motorization. A good business idea for any handy person here with some wood working tools. You can buy multiple mills from me at a time, and make a cabinet, and sell the whole lot for a profit.

What I really have considered is to sell a kit that comes with the right pulleys, a motor, and belt. The cabinet would be up to you. I might possibly design something, and include plans with it. That's as far as its gotten. If you look far and wide on this board and others, there's tons of ideas. I've decided to work first toward the other mills that I need in my product line to compete better with my old partner. A hopper and Base being a key item to have, because many folks would rather take it out of the box, and mill right away. This is the biggest reason I can see that the Barley Crusher is popular, and why I sold so many BCC mills when I was selling CrankandStein.....did anyone ever guess what the CGM-BCC meant that I used to sell? It was the Barley Crusher Crusher....

~~fred francis
Monster Brewing Hardware

Old 11-17-2007, 12:39 AM   #19
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Here's the motorized version I built. Rocks.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=42598

This place really went to hell. Follow the OF standard stout. Bye.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:48 AM   #20
Oedipus Rex
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoiv
Just buy the Monster Mill then. It's only $99. Save yourself the $50.

I was just stating what I would like to see. If it's not possible, then it's not possible.

BTW, I've seen geared reduction motors for like $35 online. So $130 for mill plus motor and all you need is a hopper. I don't think the hopper would cost $120.

I have no interest in buying someone else's mill when I can build a better one myself. I'm looking at making a line of mills with the best of all 'upgrades'. Like geared 2.0" SST rollers, ball bearings, a simplified roller adjustment from the outside of the base, grain guide plates, and perhaps give the owner an option of changing to different diameter rollers without buying a whole new mill. Options would include a variety of hoppers and base plates.

The problem is this... who would be willing to pay for such a nice product? I just don't believe many beer drinkers would be willing to put forth the cash.

Just for fun, I am going to make a prototype for myself and I don't even drink beer! Hell, I'll probably give it away to the brother of my sister's husband. He's a home brewer. That'll make him soil himself.

Last edited by Oedipus Rex; 11-17-2007 at 07:01 AM.

Quick Reply