Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Anyone bought a Monster Mill.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007, 07:30 PM   #1
TWilson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Anybody bought a...

Monster Mill yet? With all the talk recently, I was wondering if anyone had gotten one to try out. I saw a reveiw on brewboard for one, but that is it so far. I did notice that they have the 2 roller listed as ready to ship on the website. I am thinking about going AG soon and liked the price. I might go ahead and order one soon.

http://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/productsnew.htm

http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=81794&st=0

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2007, 04:21 AM   #2
Monster Mills

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

why not pull the trigger now and review it here?

~~fred francis
Monster Brewing Hardware

Old 11-14-2007, 04:36 AM   #3
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Check out this thread, specifically the link in the first post:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthre...t=Monster+mill

Don't know if it's true or not.

Corrupt Brewers

Old 11-14-2007, 04:55 AM   #4
Iordz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Wow! When I opened that website I though, "this looks just like Crankenstien!"
BTW I have a Crankenstien and am very happy with it, especially the service from Don.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:02 PM   #5
TWilson
Recipes 

Fred,

I used to be in sales and know the value of good customer service. From everything I have heard about you, your level of service is top notch. I have a couple of quick questions for you. When will the 2" mill be available and what will be the price? Also, what about the 3-roller mills availability and price?

Old 11-14-2007, 09:43 PM   #6
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Nope...I ordered a Barley Crusher instead. I liked the price, the 'comes with a handle and is drill-ready' instead of having to pay extra.

and I didn't want to get caught in the drama that's unfolding with the whole monster/crankenstein shennanigans.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 11-14-2007, 09:45 PM   #7
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey, Fred, would you mind giving us your side of the story on that stuff with the Crankandstein?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 11-14-2007, 10:06 PM   #8
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

Looks like a quality product - and I'm willing to bet it is.

I guess time will tell if the market is big enough to support so many different (yet so similar) products.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:58 AM   #9
Monster Mills

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default What happened at CrankandStein

I would like to let you guys over here know what happened with CrankandStein too....there's been a lot of flap on several boards about what happened, and you should hear it from one of the horses' mouths. (or the other end, depending on who you talk to. )

I was partners with the guy that builds the CrankandStein mill for the last 7 years. Our deal was for me to sell the mills, and for him to build the mills. Part of selling was advertising $$, web site development $$, professional photos $$, etc....all financed from my share of the profits. Basically after we finally got successful, and I was selling more mills than my partner could build in a week, he decided that he didn't need my services any longer. He remarked more than once that his mills were "selling themselves" . Being the one that was answering all of your questions, shipping all of the mills as quickly as possible, and supporting the customers, I was sure that the mills weren't really selling themselves. I felt like I provided a "value added" service to the product, and was earning my $$.

So basically, we aren't working together any more. After we split up, I found a machine shop that could build my own design, and had them make a bunch of the new MM-2 mills. I'm working to get the new name out there. The reason that Monster Brewing Hardware looks like the old CrankandStein site is that I owned the CrankandStein site, it was mine all along, as well as the URL. I plan to re-do the site sometime, but I had to get back in business asap, and didn't have time to get a web developer on it.

Originally I had hoped to use the CrankandStein.com URL to sell my new mill. Wrong!! Can't do that. So it's down, basically for good. So, I'm having to start all over again with a new mill, a new name, and a new business. I plan to add new products as soon as its financially possible without debt. Right now I have a working prototype of the new MM-3 mill. I'm testing it currently, and having some other folks look at it too. If everything goes well, it should go into production very soon. It'll retail at $149 with the std shaft. I'm also working on a hopper design that is sheet metal. The design is almost done. After its right, I'm going to look for someone to build it. If anyone knows a sheet metal fabricator that'll do small runs of simple stuff, let me know. Stainless rollers will come next, and then later the 2" roller mills. I'm sorry that I can't provide a date for these, but I can only promise that they'll be here as soon as possible. My old partner is still building mills, and he can whip you up a 2" roller mill no problem if you have an immediate need. I would suggest that our 1.5" roller models work great, and will certainly provide a satisfactory crush. I'd bet that the used market is good, and an upgrade to 2" status in the future wouldn't cost too much. The 2" 2-roller mill will most likely retail at $179, and will come standard with the larger 1/2" drive shaft.

You can check out the new mills at my new location.

Monster Brewing Hardware

We will post the arrival of new products there first, and probably here in the Vendor Area.

Please shoot me an e-mail if you have any questions. info@monsterbrewinghardware.com

Thanks,

~~fred francis
Monster Brewing Hardware

Old 11-16-2007, 01:34 PM   #10
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

Thanks for the skinny, Fred. Hopefully your honesty and willingness to support the site as a vendor can earn you some customers from the members here and help build your business out.

Quick Reply